Have you ever wanted to live your childhood dreams of sleeping in a treehouse? Well, now you can!
Whether you’re a curious traveler or just on a short weekend getaway, you’d be delighted to know that Malaysia is home to many stunning tree top accommodations. While many of these treehouses are hidden deep within lush rainforests, some are located by the beach. So if you want to take your outdoor adventure to new heights, here are some incredible treehouses to choose from for your next break:
1. Permai Rainforest Retreat, Kuching
Delicately designed to minimise impact on the natural environment, Permai Rainforest Resort is a relaxing eco-resort set in the pristine Borneo rainforest, close to the ever popular Damai beach. The resort’s 20-feet-high treehouses are well spread out to ensure privacy, making it the perfect place for a quiet getaway. If you’re feeling adventurous, the resort offers a variety of activities for guests such as jungle trekking, mountain climbing, kayaking, snorkelling, Irawadi dolphin watching, and night firefly tours.
- Address: Pantai Damai Santubong, Jalan Sultan Tengah, 93050 Kuching, Sarawak
- Contact: 08-2846487; firstname.lastname@example.org
2. JapaMala Resort, Tioman Island
JapaMala Resort’s tree top chalets offer comfort and convenience in the arms of nature. Simple yet luxurious, the chalets are perched high above the jungle canopy, situated only a short walk up from the beach. Each unit is equipped with air-conditioning, iPod docks, flat screen TV, DVD player, and a full mini-bar thoughtfully stocked with wines and champagne. And that’s not all, JapaMala’s resident spa outlet, SAMADHI Spa, has an array of traditional and therapeutic treatments to restore the mind, body, and spirit.
- Getting there: JapaMala Resort offers premium land and boat transfer services. Alternatively, guests can opt for only the boat transfer service at Mersing Jetty.
- Contact: 03-21610769; email@example.com
- Website | Facebook
3. Terra’s Tree House, Cameron Highlands
Wanna get away from the hustle and bustle of the city life? Then Terra’s Tree House is the place to be. Located inside a farmland area, the treehouse hideout is an oasis of serenity within the cool hills of Cameron Highlands. There are 6 treehouses and each unit comes with simple amenities, a bathroom, as well as limited electricity (only available from 6:30pm to 10:30pm). But who needs that when you have fresh air and a whole forest to explore, right?
Note: Organic ingredients will be provided for guests to cook their own meals.
- Getting there: Guests may need to rent a 4WD and drive on a bumpy hilly road for about 4km. Then, a 400m hike (about 15minutes) from the entrance arc to the treehouses. Transportation can be arranged when you book your stay.
- Contact: 012-2192582 (Rachel); firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website | Facebook
4. Green Acres, Penang
Durian lovers, rejoice! Balik Pulau, the rural and rustic area southwest of Penang island is a reputed durian connoisseur’s paradise and one of its orchard, Green Acres, offers farm stays. Its spacious and airy accommodations include a private Musang Loft Treehouse that overlooks the hills of the island. Home to 450 matured durian trees, the orchard has over 32 different durian cultivars to taste from so be sure to book your stay during the durian season (between June to August).
- Address: Green Acres Orchard & Ecolodge, Batu Itam, Balik Pulau, Penang
- Contact: email@example.com
5. Malibest Resort, Langkawi
Malibest Resort’s treehouses are placed directly above a sandy white beach, overlooking the beautiful ocean. As the resort is strategically located on Cenang Beach, the lively area is filled with tourists and things to do. From water activities to local nightlife, the budget resort is perfect for couples, friends, and families. There’s even free Wi-Fi at the lobby area.
- Address: Pantai Cenang, Mukim Kedawang, Langkawi, Kedah Darul Aman
- Contact:017-5676065 (Sofi); firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Rainforest Treehouse, Johor
Located at Gunung Pulai in Johor Bahru, Rainforest Treehouse is surrounded by an ideal natural environment and is only 20 minutes away from the city! The homestay, which is built and owned by Ah Yao, features 7 treehouses – 5 small ones (up to 6 pax) and 2 big ones (up to 12 pax). Though the amenities prepared are pretty basic (mosquito nets, beds, blankets, and pillows), each unit comes with electrical outlets! And that’s not all, the bathrooms are supplied with fresh, cold water sourced directly from the mountains. Other facilities include giant hammocks and a large communal hall.
- Address: Jalan Air Terjun, Kg Sri Gunung Pulai, Kulai
- Contact: 012-5279987 (Yao)/ 016-7560086 (Yu Ru)
7. Melina Beach Resort, Tioman Island
Planning for a tranquil getaway? Look no further than Melina Beach Resort. The family friendly eco-resort is situated on a secluded beach at the foot of Mount Kajang on Tioman Island. Their one and only treehouse chalet, which can accommodate up to 2 guests, is nestled in the branches of a sturdy beach almond tree, overlooking the main beach. The beach is blessed with a healthy coral reef, making it the best place for snorkelling and scuba diving. Guided treks can also be arranged for patrons who want to explore the nearby rainforest.
- Getting there: Take a ferry from Mersing jetty in Johor to Paya Jetty on Tioman Island. Melina Beach Resort will arrange a 5-minute speedboat shuttle to the resort.
- Contact: email@example.com