Kim Seok-woo, or better known as Rowoon (로운), is best known as the lead vocalist for dance boy group SF9 (Sensational Feeling 9, 에스에프나인). Aside from balancing his music career, the 25-year-old K-pop star has been establishing himself as a serious male lead in the acting world.
His latest project sees him playing the handsome Chae Hyung Seung in “She Would Never Know” (선배, 그 립스틱 바르지 마요). In this interview, the South Korean star delves into the complications of love and relationships. Rowoon also shares his new experiences when filming the romantic series.
1. It is your second time playing a lead role in a drama. Is it more difficult playing an office worker compared to your previous role as a student? How did you prepare for this role?
At first, I was curious about the meaning of ‘growing up’, so I read a lot on philosophy and psychology, and consulted many people as well. Finally, I realised that people’s perspectives might be different even though we live in the same world. (Additionally), I practiced phonation and pronunciation a lot to express my lines more accurately. I also read the script with a creative and innovative spirit.
2. You described your character Chae Hyun-seung as someone who is a capable worker and doesn’t seem to have any flaws, except when it comes to expressing his true feelings. He was content to keep his love for Song-ah a secret until he found out her boyfriend may be two-timing her. Is Hyun-seung’s personality and way of dealing with love similar to yours? What parts of Hyun-seung do you wish you could be more like? And what do you find attractive and charming about your role?
Actually, I don’t know how the real me will handle love. I don’t really know what kind of person I am as well. I just accept Hyun-seung’s love as it is. The title is unique and has a sexy air. The character of Chae Hyun-seung is somewhat of a fantasy character so when I first heard the title I thought it was sexy.
3. What’s your impression of Won Jin-ah and what do you feel about being her colleague? How would you rate the collaboration between you two?
When I was reading the script, I had a lot of different ideas. When I expressed them during filming, I found that unnie Jin-ah is a very open and flexible actress. I believe that is what they call ‘the best colleague’.
As for Jin-ah, she’s very charismatic. During the filming, I asked a lot of questions because I had never worked in an office before. Before we start shooting, we talk and eat together. She would think of ways to express things better with me. She’s a good senior.
4. In your first collaboration with Won Jin-ah, what scene was your favourite?
My favourite one was the scene where we chatted in the barbecue restaurant. (This was in episode 3)
5. Rather than romantic comedy, it seems that this drama shows a more mature romance. What makes this love story special compared to others?
There’s no difference. If (I) have to say something, it may be different to those who are falling in love.
6. Were there any unforgettable moments during the shooting? What’s the most interesting thing/moment in the drama that the audience can look forward to?
To be honest, each and every moment was unforgettable. All scenes were special. I hope all of them can stay in my memory.
7. This is a series set in a cosmetics company. As a man, what are your beauty secrets and what are things you find really important to look and feel good?
Love yourself. People (are able to) think and imagine, (creating) endless possibilities. Therefore, the most important thing is to love yourself. Won Jin Ah takes on the role of Yoon Song Ah, who works at a cosmetics company as a professional brand marketer. She dreams of having her own cosmetics brand one day.
8. What’s your plan for 2021? And do you have a message for your fans?
The most important thing is to do my best in everyday life. I’ve always been grateful to all my fans. You are the reason that I exist. I will work hard with my belief.
“She Would Never Know” is streaming on all iQiyi platforms.