Barbie has turned the world pink, and an entirely new aesthetic inspired by the iconic doll has been dubbed as ‘Barbie-core’ – a phrase we all know too well.
Greta Gerwig’s Barbie movie is now in theatres, and as it breaks box office records, a new trend has emerged – ‘Kencore’.
This viral new look plays homage to the unique style of the Ken doll and is set to be a viral trend, for beauty and fashion.
We’ve asked Trend Expert, Nick Drewe, at online platform, Wethrift, to provide insight into the trend and explain how you can replicate Ken’s style.
“It really does feel like Barbiecore has taken the entire world by storm over the last year, as the hype around the movie grows exponentially and people across the globe replicate the iconic and memorable Barbie style.
“We’re also now starting to see the demand for Barbiecore fashion for men, or otherwise known as Kencore, starting to take off.
“The TikTok hashtag #Kencore has attracted 118.4K views and counting. The hashtag #Kenstyle has gained a whopping 3.5 million views, with TikTok users flocking to the platform to create fashion content and style inspo, inspired by Ryan Gosling’s portrayal of Ken in the upcoming movie.
“Typically, the style embraces a more flamboyant and feminine look, with bright pastel colours and an abundance of accessories. Public figures such as Harry Styles and Lil Nas X have been rocking similar styles for a while, but it seems that the hype around Barbie and Ken is really bringing the style to the mainstream. The bright colours, pastel prints and playfulness of the trend make this the perfect summer look for 2023.
“The Barbie movie has even caused a resurgence in early 2000s fashion, also known online as Y2K style. Over on Pinterest, searches for ‘Y2K outfits men’ have increased by 164% over the last 12 months. Key features of this trend include a more feminine style, pastel colours, bold patterns and an abundance of accessories.
How to replicate the Ken look this summer:
- Opt for pastel colours – ‘Kencore’ is all about embracing bright colours for the summer months. Think pastel colours, and of course, keep on the Barbie brand with a touch of pink, for instance, you could rock a pastel pink blazer similar to Gosling’s premiere event outfit. Try to utilise complimentary colours, to really make your outfits pop, and to avoid any harsh clashes.
- Embrace bold patterns – the Barbie movie aesthetic is all about maximalism, and this is certainly carried through into the fashion. For replicating Ken’s style, make use of bold patterns on your clothing. The brighter and bolder, the better!
- Vests and sleeveless cardigans – the perfect summer style, Ken’s fashion typically embraces sleeveless items of clothing, such as brightly-coloured vests, or sleeveless cardigan sweatshirts.
- Dig out the bleached denim – a classic look from the movie is Ken in denim. For the perfect look this summer, incorporate bleached denim into your outfits.
- Mix masculine and feminine styles – a key theme of Kencore is challenging gender norms by experimenting with clothing that may be typically perceived as more feminine. Combine typically masculine clothes such as a suit with a ruffled shirt, or with a shirt with a frilled collar, for example.
- Go baggy – this aesthetic embraces loose-fit clothing, rather than tailored and well-fitted items. Experiment with different layers and silhouettes to complete your look.
- Utilise bold accessories – whether it’s a brightly coloured cowboy buckle belt, large sunglasses, or vibrant footwear, complete the maximalist look by adorning your fit in bold accessories. Remember, more is more when it comes to Kencore.