What happens when a wild bear gets high on cocaine? Many thought it was a joke when the trailer for “Cocaine Bear” dropped online, but it’s actually based on a true story that took place back in 1985. Two things came to mind: How much of it is real? Also, what the f**k?!
In a smuggling operation gone wrong, several packages of cocaine get airdropped into a Georgia forest. A black bear stumbles upon it, becomes addicted, then goes on a killing rampage, wrecking havoc on the local residence. Thankfully, the actual version is less gruesome. A 175-pound male bear named Pablo Eskobear had several grams of cocaine in his bloodstream when he was discovered dead in the forest.
Directed by Elizabeth Banks, the 49-year-old told Entertainment Weekly what drew her to this project. “I knew when I read the script that I had the ability to make something truly unique,” she told the publication. “I felt a lot of sympathy for the bear. Like, wow, this bear — which, in real life, ended up dead after eating all this coke — ended up being sort of collateral damage in this War on Drugs. And I just thought, Well, then this movie can be a revenge story for the bear. And it just gave me a point of view and a purpose for making it. Like, there’s a real message here: We should not f**k with nature, nature will win.”
To quote The Atlantic, “animal attacks are as thrilling as they are terrifying—more likely, they’re thrilling because they’re terrifying. That’s largely because they awaken the ancient fear of predators that can devour us.” Although “Cocaine Bear” has its fair share of theatrics, Elizabeth Banks wanted the film to be grounded in reality. “We looked at a lot of bear attack photos and wounds, people who had been attacked, marred, killed, some dark stuff. [It was] a dark journey that we went on to sort of get to like, Okay, so if that’s the baseline, then how do we make it a little more fun?” she added.
We have 20 pairs of movie tickets to give away. Details of the screening are as per below:
- Date: 21st February 2023, Tuesday
- Time: 9:15pm
- Venue: GSC Tropicana Gardens Mall (Hall 3)
Terms and conditions:
- Like Hype Malaysia’s Facebook, follow us on Instagram @hypemy and Twitter @HypeMY.
- Share this post on your Facebook. Increase your chances by getting your friends to like and share your social media posts.
- Tag your friends and help spread the word.
- Private Message us the link to your contest post on Facebook after you’re done. Include your Twitter and Instagram account links so that we can verify.
- Ensure that your post privacy is set to public otherwise we won’t be able to see it!
- There will be no winners announcement post as winners will be contacted privately via Facebook by mid February 2023.
- HERE is a step-by-step guide to help you from getting disqualified.
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Telegram for more updates and breaking news.