There are many reasons why many would choose to not dine in at restaurants. Some prefer to avoid crowded places. Others are concerned about the cleanliness of the restaurant and we don’t blame them. Just last year, there were a few hygiene issues that left customers traumatised.
Previously, a customer was shocked to see maggots wiggling around in a sauce bottle when eating sushi. If that wasn’t bad enough, another customer was lost for words when he saw a large rat devouring a fried chicken at a Mamak. If this was a contest of grossness, then this one definitely takes the cake as this customer was horrified to find a rat’s head in their meal.
Just the thought of a head animal is already enough to make anyone sick to their stomach. A Twitter user who goes by @AsyrafRosli_ posted 2 photos and a video earlier this week of his or someone else’s Nasi Kukus meal. It was not mentioned if the user is the original source for the content but nevertheless, netizens were terrified at the sight of what appears to be a cooked rat’s head in the meal.
“Found a rat’s head. The problem is that the meal is finished. A month’s worth of trauma here,” he tweeted. Upon closer inspection of the photos and video, the foreign piece of “meat” does resemble a rat’s head as it has whiskers still intact and sticking out. Netizens replied to the viral tweet, now reaching 1.1 million views, urging that the restaurant should be closed down for good.
Just like in the previous viral rat encounter, some netizens joked about how Remy from Disney’s “Ratatouille” has met his demise after accidentally falling into the broth. How tragic.
Soon after the tweet went viral, the restaurant owner released an official statement. The incident apparently took place at Restoran Nasi Kukus D Garden in Kota Kinabalu. According to the statement, officials from Sabah Health Department arrived on the same day and conducted an inspection of the establishment. It was said that the inspectors did not find any traces of rats or signs of uncleanliness.
Nevertheless, the owner was advised to close down the restaurant for the day to carry out cleaning work. From now on, it’s probably best to always check your food for anything that shouldn’t be there, even if you’re at the fanciest and cleanest restaurant. Who knows what might pop up (or into) from the meal?