YG Entertainment is finally jumping on the virtual reality technology bandwagon! Recently, it was revealed that the entertainment agency’s subsidiary label YG KPlus, a model management company, has officially signed an AI (Artificial Intelligence) star under their company, leaving several netizens completely baffled.
Earlier on 15th February (Tuesday), South Korean video developer company Smilegate revealed that virtual influencer, Han Yoo Ah (한유아) has signed an exclusive contract with YG KPlus. The announcement also revealed the artiste’s plans to actively participate in various fields including the music scene, the entertainment industry, as well as advertisement.
For those who are curious, Yoo Ah made her first “appearance” through Smilegate’s VR video game called “Focus On You”. To quote 1News, the artificial intelligence embedded in Yoo Ah has the same feature as SM girl group’s AI avatars, known as ae (which were created by Giantstep). With these developments, she went from a virtual game character to someone who resembles a real human.
Soon after the news about YG KPlus’ latest signee made the headlines, netizens took to online community platforms to air their thoughts about it. Unsurprisingly, many were utterly confused on the famed entertainment label’s bold decision in signing a literally non-existent figure as their artiste.
Read some of the highlighted comments here:
- “This is just weird,”
- “I wouldn’t be fangirling over a virtual character,”
- “Why are they doing this?”
- “I guess it’s better for the company since she won’t ever be sick.”
- “At least the agencies won’t need to worry about any dating rumors or school bullying controversy.”
- “I’m always curious about this, then who would be the voice actor and who would do the singing?”
- “Are they going to use an AI program for the voice too?”
- “I feel like making an AI character like this making its debut is worsening our society that is so visual-based.”
- “This is so strange. I mean it’s better than a robot but still very strange!”
To quote a fan on AllKpop, “Guess I won’t have to feel sorry for her when she gets shelved in the prime of her career.”
Follow us on Telegram for more updates and breaking news: https://t.me/hypemsia