Yesterday (Thursday, 30th September), a video of a student passing out after receiving the Covid-19 vaccine has began making rounds on social media, causing panic and distress among local netizens.
Soon after the clip went viral, Melaka’s deputy health director (public health) Dr Rusdi Abd Rahman confirmed in a statement that the incident took place outside a walk-in PPV in Klebang, Melaka. The incident involving a 12-year-old boy who was accompanied by his family happened earlier in the morning that same day.
In an official statement posted on Facebook, Dr. Rusdi stated that during the vaccination process, the student was “a bit nervous”. There were no side effects noted during his vaccination as well as during the observation period. However, upon reaching the parking lot, the boy was “suddenly weak and collapsed”, and had to be taken back to the PPV for further examination.
The medical officer on duty found that the boy’s condition was stable with his vital signs (blood pressure, pulse and oxygen levels) being normal. He was allowed to go home in a stable condition after 30 minutes of observation.
However, further investigation found that the pupil had slept at 2am. In addition, it was revealed that he had no appetite and only ate a spoonful of nasi lemak that morning. “This boy did not have any problems, had never been hospitalised, and had no previous history of allergies. This incident has been confirmed to have been due to nervousness, lack of sleep and not eating his breakfast before his vaccination,” the health director added in his statement.
Dr. Zulkifli concluded by reminding parents to make sure that their kids are well rested and fed before they arrive for vaccination, apart from urging the public to refrain from spreading misleading news about the incident.