If there is one thing that always brings everyone closer during Chinese New Year reunion dinner, it’s good food. During such an occasion, it’s tradition for Chinese families to enjoy hot pot (or steamboat) at the comfort of their homes.
Despite travel restrictions during this CNY season, it’s unfortunate that many won’t be able to return back to their hometowns for the reunion dinner. Having said that, this shouldn’t stop you from enjoying your favourite reunion dishes while staying connected through virtual gatherings.
Jack Tan, Fonterra Brands Malaysia’s Foodservice Director, shared, “To inspire the celebration of food and their favourite dish during the CNY occasion, we have specially developed a hot pot recipe using Anchor Extra Yield Cooking Cream as the key ingredient to elevate the soup base for a richer flavour and silky mouthfeel!”
“Our Anchor Extra Yield Cooking Cream is a versatile, pre-reduced dairy cream that is not only suitable to add into clear soup base like chicken broth; it can also be added to spicy soups such as Tom Yum and Mala,” Tan added.
“All you need is just add in Anchor Extra Yield Cooking Cream into your hot pot soup base in order to enjoy a different hot pot experience with family and loved ones at home! We recommend to add in 100 grams of Anchor Extra Yield Cooking Cream for every two litres of soup base, bring it up to simmer, check seasoning and it’s ready to cook your hot pot condiments. For those who would like it creamier, you may add more Anchor Extra Yield Cooking Cream too,” said Tan.
Made from fresh New Zealand cream, the Anchor Extra Yield Cooking Cream is usually used for creamy pasta, cream soup and purees. It is acid stable and doesn’t split in sour, acidic (low pH) and spicy recipes – making it an ideal base for cooking other dishes such as curry noodles and even local desserts such as ‘kuih’.
Creamy Hot Pot Recipe
Step 1: Preparing the ingredients
- 1 chicken carcass, cleaned
- 150 grams of ikan bilis, cleaned
- 30 grams of dried shrimp, cleaned
- 1 big yellow onion, cleaned
- 50 grams of ginger, sliced
- 1 tbsp of white peppercorn, whole
- 5 litres of water
Creamy Hot Pot Stock Base
- 2 litres of stock base
- 1 corn on cub, cut 5-6
- 1 big red tomato, wedges
- 5/6 shiitake mushrooms
- 8 red dates, pitted
- 5/6 spring onions, white part only
- 100 grams of Anchor Extra Yield Cooking Cream
- 2 tbsp of salt
Step 2: Let’s get cooking
- Put stock base ingredients together in a big stock pot. Add in 5 litres of water or until water covers the ingredients. Put on stove and bring up to boil.
- When stock is boiling, turn down heat to low simmer. Skim off any impurities and oil from the surface. Let it simmer for 1 – 1.5 hour.
- Strain out the stock and set aside for later use.
Creamy Hot Pot Stock Base:
- In your serving pot, add corn, tomatoes, shiitake mushrooms, red dates, spring onions and salt.
- Fill it up with stock and Anchor Extra Yield Cooking Cream. Bring up to simmer, check seasoning and it’s ready to dip your condiments! Enjoy!