“Crash Landing On You” (사랑의 불시착) concluded on a satisfying and triumphant note last night (Sunday, 16th February).
Spoiler alert – Captain Ri Jeong-hyuk and Yoon Se-ri got their happy ending after all, much to the delight of K-drama fans who have been following the series religiously.
Nielsen Korea reported that the 16-episode show broke a record by achieving the highest viewership ratings in tvN history. The final broadcast garnered an average nationwide rating of 21.683% and a peak rating of 24.1%. As expected, “Crash Landing On You” faired even better in Seoul with an average viewership rating of 23.249% during the last episode.
The previous record holder was “Goblin”, when its finale brought in a peak rating of 20.5% back in January 2017. As of now, “Crash Landing On You” is reportedly the 2nd highest rated drama in Korean television cable history; only behind “Sky Castle”. Of course, the impressive feat wouldn’t be possible without the star power couple of Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin.
It’s only February, but it seems like “Crash Landing On You” has already become the biggest and best performing K-dramas in 2020 so far. So how did “Crash Landing On You” became such a monster hit among viewers? Here’s what we gather:
- A stellar cast: Joining Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin were Kim Jung-hyun and Seo Ji-hye as the main leads. The supporting cast of Captain Ri’s soldier squad and North Korean village women were equally captivating.
- No shortage of humour. Regardless of how serious the situation got, there was also room for laughter.
- The insight into North Korea culture was refreshing. It was interesting to observe the civilisation and the visible contrast between North Korea and South Korea.
- The scenic view at Switzerland was gorgeous to marvel at.
- And of course, Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin’s undeniable chemistry.
One fan sum it up perfectly, saying, “After the last episode of CLOY last night, I slept with a very happy heart knowing that we were given the best heartwarming ending ever for the RiRi couple. Congratulations to the whole CLOY team for giving us fans an amazing Kdrama. It was worth my time, energy, eye bags and tears😍💞 I love everything about CLOY, the cast, plot, soundtrack most especially its ending.”
What are you watching now that “Crash Landing On You” has concluded?