Rian Johnson has a gentle warning: Do not watch the trailer “Knives Out” if you want to go into the film on a clean slate.
Following the blockbuster of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”, the director returns with a whodunnit. After debuting at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival in September and screening for critics, “Knives Out” has scored 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.
The synopsis for “Knives Out” reads:
“When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc is mysteriously enlisted to investigate. From Harlan’s dysfunctional family to his devoted staff, Blanc sifts through a web of red herrings and self-serving lies to uncover the truth behind Harlan’s untimely death.”
Although Johnson feels that the footage doesn’t spoil anything, viewers who are already sold should avoid the trailer. However, it’s the studio’s marketing campaign’s job to convince potential movie-goers to watch the movie. Those who remain unconvinced may check it out below:
As you can see, the mystery thriller has an all star cast. Their character descriptions are as follows:
- Daniel Craig as Detective Benoit Blanc: a gentleman sleuth of great renown. Summoned to this nest of iniquity by mysterious means, it falls to the great detective to solve the case… before the murderer strikes again…
- Christopher Plummer as Harlan Thrombey: The world’s most successful mystery writer and the patriarch of this whole insidious clan. When he turns up dead under mysterious circumstances, the game is afoot…
- Chris Evans as Ransom Drysdale: Harlan’s grandson, Linda and Richard’s son. He is described as a spoiled playboy.
- Jamie Lee Curtis as Linda Drysdale: Harlan’s eldest daughter. She has a head for business… does she have a heart for homicide?
- Don Johnson as Richard Drysdale: Linda’s husband. When his indiscretions catch up with him, who knows how far he’ll go to conceal the truth…
- Michael Shannon as Walter “Walt” Thrombey: Harlan’s youngest son. Walt runs the family publishing company, but his ambitions reach much farther. Would he… kill for them?
- Jaeden Martell as Jacob Thrombey: Walt’s son. He spends every moment of the day on his phone… could he have trolled his way into murder?
- Toni Collette as Joni Thrombey: Harlan’s daughter in law. She’s made a killing with her lifestyle brand Flam®️… but if she was desperate enough, would she stop there?
- Katherine Langford as Megan “Meg” Thrombey: Joni’s daughter. Well studied at the best liberal arts colleges in New England… but could her syllabus have included cutlery skills?
- Ana de Armas as Marta Cabrera: Harlan’s devoted caregiver. She was closest to Harlan, and has some secrets of her own to keep… secrets worth killing for?
- Lakeith Stanfield as Detective Lieutenant Elliot: The cool headed local police detective. He’s ready to rule Harlan’s death a suicide… but then the clues and motives start to surface, and suddenly he’s not so certain…
Thanks to our friends from TGV, we’ve got 20 pairs of “Knives Out” movie tickets to give away. So who’s up for a movie date with Hype? Details of the screening are as below:
- Date: 25th November 2019 (Monday)
- Time: Ticket collection at 8:30pm
- Location: TGV 1 Utama
Here’s how to win the passes:-
- Like Hype Malaysia’s Facebook, follow us on Instagram @hypemy and Twitter @HypeMY.
- Share this post on your Facebook and Twitter.
- Tag 1 (One) friend who you want to take to the movie and complete this caption: “I suspect the murderer in ‘Knives Out’ is…” (no word limit).
- Include the hashtags #HypeMYxKnivesOut, and make sure that your post privacy is set to public.
- Private Message us the link to your post on Facebook after you’re done. Include your Twitter and Instagram handles for us to verify.
- Winners will be contacted privately via Facebook by 24th November 2019.
- Hype.my’s decision is final. Further correspondence will not be entertained.
- Here is a step-by-step guide to help you from getting disqualified.
“Knives Out” will be out in local cinemas on 28th November 2019.