UPDATE: “Hustlers” has been banned in Malaysia. More details here.
Inspired by Jessica Pressler’s “The Hustlers at Scores” article for New York Magazine, “Hustlers” is described as a true-life Robin Hood tale about a group of former strip club employees during the 2008 financial crisis.
It stars an impressive ensemble cast of women featuring Constance Wu, Jennifer Lopez, Cardi B, Lizzo, Lili Reinhart, Keke Palmer, Oscar winner Mercedes Ruehl, Julia Stiles, and more.
Wu plays Destiny, a young woman who resorts to stripping to care for her granny. Lopez’s Ramona is a strong-willed veteran dancer who partners with Destiny in forming a plan to drug and scam wealthy Wall Street clients.
Rising star Lizzo and rapper Cardi (who was a former stripper in real life) portray Ramona’s strip club colleagues Liz and Diamond, respectively. There’s also supporting actresses Keke Palmer (Mercedes) and Lili Reinhart (Annabelle) are taken under Ramona’s wing.
“I felt a kinship to everyone, and I also felt a responsibility to the characters and sex workers, and wanted to portray something that felt authentic,” director Lorene Scafaria told Entertainment Weekly.
“When you’re in New York and your clients work on Wall Street, when they were riding high, it was like money was falling from the sky, and then it stopped. Some people might watch the movie and feel that they did what they needed to do to survive,” she continued. “Everybody’s hustling in one way or another.”
Thanks to our friends from TGV, we’ve got 20 pairs of “Hustlers” movie tickets to give away. So who’s up for a movie date with Hype? Details of the screening are as below:
- Date: 18th September 2019 (Wednesday)
- Time: Ticket collection at 8:30pm
- Location: GSC Cinemas 1 Utama
Here’s how to win the passes:-
- Like Hype Malaysia’s Facebook, follow us on Instagram @hypemy and Twitter @HypeMY.
- Share this post on your Facebook and Twitter.
- Tag 1 (One) friend who you want to take to the movie and complete this caption: “I want to watch ‘Hustlers’ because…” (no word limit).
- Include the hashtags #HypeMYxHustlers, and make sure that your post privacy is set to public.
- Private Message us the link to your post on Facebook after you’re done. Include your Twitter and Instagram handles for us to verify.
- Winners will be contacted privately via Facebook by 17th September 2019.
- Hype.my’s decision is final. Further correspondence will not be entertained.
- Here is a step-by-step guide to help you from getting disqualified.
“Hustlers” will debut in local cinemas on 19th September 2019.