“This is the story of how I came to love you more than I love myself.”
Starring Girls’ Generation YoonA (윤아), ZE:A’s Im Siwan (임시완), and “Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo” (달의 연인 – 보보경심 려) star Hong Jong Hyun (홍종현), MBC’s highly anticipated historical romance series, “The King In Love” (왕은 사랑한다, otherwise known as “The King Loves”), premiered on Monday (17th July).
Based on Kim Yi Ryung’s novel of the same name, the story follows the tragic yet beautiful romance of Wang Won (played by Siwan), an ambitious crown prince who desires power more than anything else; his childhood friend and bodyguard Wang Rin, an upright young man who is also of royal descent; and the beautiful Eun San, the only daughter of the wealthiest man in town.
Here are some reasons why “The King In Love” should be on your must-watch K-Drama list:
1. The drama marks the return of popular Korean screenwriter Song Ji Na, whose most recent drama is “Healer” (2014) starring Ji Chang Wook and Park Min Young. Her works also include “The Great Doctor”, “The Legend”, and “Sandglass” (which is one of the highest-rated Korean dramas in history).
2. This is Siwan’s last drama before he began his military service in the end of June.
3. The whole story is told by the perspective of an antihero (Wang Won), which is not common in K-Dramas. The story explores human nature, ambition, and jealousy.
4. This is YoonA’s first historical K-Drama since she started her acting career in 2007.
5. The OST line-up for “The King In Love” includes K-Pop A-listers Roy Kim and Jung Joon Young.
6. Siwan chose to take on the role of Wang Won because of YoonA. When asked to choose between love and friendship, he responded, “If it’s YoonA, I’ll choose love.”
“The King In Love” airs every Monday and Tuesday at 9pm. It is available first and exclusively on ONE HD, Astro Ch. 393.
For more information on the series, hit up ONE TV Asia’s website.
Follow us on Telegram for more updates and breaking news: https://t.me/hypemsia