A Malaysia Airlines moist towelette that washed up on a Western Australian beach 4 months after MH370 vanished is unlikely to be linked to the missing plane, investigators said Tuesday (10th March).
Flight MH370 disappeared on 8th March 2014 with 239 people on board and no sign of the aircraft has ever been found. It is thought to have gone down in the Indian Ocean off Australia’s west coast.
Analysis of satellite data later revealed it flew for more than 6 hours after contact was lost, and suggested it crashed into the southern Indian Ocean after running out of fuel.
Malaysia’s handling of the disaster has been criticised from the start and an interim investigation report released Sunday uncovered a dud beacon battery and more potential missed opportunities to track the plane. However, the airline said the battery on the separate cockpit voice recorder – good for 30 days once activated – was up-to-date and would have transmitted a signal once it hit water.

Australian officials have expressed cautious optimism that the plane would eventually be found, and Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said Canberra, along with Malaysia and China, remained committed to the search. So far more than 26,000 sq km – over 40% – of the priority zone of the seabed where the plane likely went down has been searched using specialist equipment.
“Having spent time with the Australian families over the past few days, I share their sense of helplessness at not knowing what happened to the aircraft. The families deserve answers and we are doing all we can to get them,” Truss said on Sunday.
Searchers hope to have completed the designated underwater search area by May.
– AFP

