Good news, Disney enthusiasts! The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia has announced the launch of the Asia Pacific e-commerce destination ‘shopDisney’ in Malaysia. With their Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars merchandise, over 1,000 products will be available online for your perusal.
‘shopDisney’ introduces new ways for fans to get close with their beloved characters, inspire imaginations and create a magical connection with only a sprinkle of pixie dust. If you want to know more, you can read our interview with The Walt Disney Company’s Vice President and General Manager of Consumer Products Southeast Asia, India and MENA, Dan Dossa, on what fans can anticipate from this launch.
1. ‘shopDisney’ has arrived in Malaysia. What makes Malaysia an ideal place to launch the online store?
We have seen high affinity for Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars in Malaysia, as these stories continue to resonate across different backgrounds, cultures and generations. We believe the launch of ‘shopDisney’ in the region will delight long-time fans and indulgers in Malaysia. Disney is constantly creating new digital experiences to engage, entertain, educate and connect, and we do that by leveraging our complete digital ecosystem – creating experiences that resonate well, inspire imagination that can be enjoyed by fans, whether it is through the right content, services or products.
‘shopDisney’ is truly a fan-focused e-commerce platform and creates a wonderful opportunity for us to deepen the emotional connection fans have to our stories and characters, through innovative, best-in-class products from across the world, into the hands of our fans.
2. How long have you been working on ‘shopDisney’? Why do you think now is the time to launch the online store in Malaysia? Was the pandemic the pushing point of this project?
We are a leading entertainment company whose brands and franchises resonate with kids and families. We are always looking for ways to extend that magic and emotional connection into their daily lives through our products and experiences. With ‘shopDisney’, we aimed to meet consumers where they are and create a one-stop destination where families and fans can find quality Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars products for themselves and their loved ones.
3. How did the process in the making of ‘shopDisney’ for Malaysians go? Did you face any obstacles in the development?
We wanted to create a dedicated space that brings happiness by providing the best in products, inspired by beloved characters and stories, for people of all ages everywhere. It’s not just merchandise but memories that will last a lifetime. We have collections conceived, designed, developed and manufactured by our talented local teams across the region.
4. Disney is basically for all ages. Is it the same for the merchandise released on ‘shopDisney’? Who are your target consumers?
‘shopDisney’ is for fans of all ages, showcasing a wide assortment of categories spanning collectibles, adult fashion and accessories, toys and baby, home, stationery and gifts. We hope these galaxies of possibility spark imagination in the littlest ones to the biggest kids at heart!
5. You are committed to expanding the online retail shop for consumers. Do you plan to open a physical or a pop-up store in Malaysia?
We don’t have plans for a brick-and-mortar store in Malaysia at this stage.
6. So far, ‘shopDisney’ is also available in Singapore. Do you have any plans to expand ‘shopDisney’ to other regions in Southeast Asia?
We are working hard to bring shopDisney to more fans in the region. Stay tuned!
7. What is the importance of this flagship store? How does it benefit Disney fans and what should they look forward to from the store?
We have always been driven by our consumer centricity. Digital retailing allows us to bring our distinct “Disney magic” closer to consumers with a simple and convenient one-stop shop access to highly anticipated global collections that are unique and differentiated.
The most immediate benefit would be reduced delivery times. Catering direct to our fans within the region also helps us curate services and products that are unique and localised. In addition, ‘shopDisney’ is optimised for mobile and personal devices that allow customers to easily search for products either by their beloved characters or franchises at their fingertips.
8. Great storytelling is what Disney is made of. What part does it play in this project?
Yes, storytelling is at the heart of everything we do at Disney. Our Consumer Products, Games and Publishing (CPGP) business brings to life our stories and characters in a connected, inclusive and evolving way. ‘shopDisney’ represents the latest extension of not only our retail offerings in Southeast Asia, but of Disney’s storytelling as a whole.
We’re extending the magic beyond the screen, connecting fans in Malaysia to their favourite characters in new ways, and bringing these unforgettable stories closer to home. The key idea behind ‘shopDisney’ is a dedicated space that creates happiness by providing the best in products, inspired by beloved characters and stories, for people of all ages everywhere. It’s not just merchandise, but memories that will last a lifetime.
9. From all the collections you have released so far, which one is your favourite? Why did you choose that one?
I love cooking and hosting dinner parties, so I’m really excited about all the homeware available on ‘shopDisney’. I’m currently eyeing the Mickey Homestead collection – it’s got a Mickey Mouse motif that’s subtle yet stylish, and is great for all grown-up Mickey fans!
10. You collaborated with COACH to produce the Disney x COACH collection. What inspired the collaboration?
The Disney X Coach collection was created to celebrate Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary. We also recently announced a Givenchy collaboration as part of the Disney100 celebrations coming up in 2023. There will definitely be more exciting collabs coming up, stay tuned.
11. You collaborated with The Disney Store Japan for the Disney nuiMOs and the Sakura series. What other collabs can we expect in the near future?
We have a number of exciting collabs coming up, especially with the Disney 100 celebrations in 2023. We recently announced a Givenchy collab as part of these celebrations, but we need to keep everything else under wraps for now!
12. Why is the Mickey Mouse: The Main Attraction collection limited edition? What makes them special?
Mickey Mouse: The Main Attraction is our new on-going series celebrating the one and only Mickey Mouse! Each signature style honours a beloved Disney Theme Park attraction. This special release series will have 12 designs in total, each consisting of collectibles such as: plush toys, headbands, bags and pins. The latest series is inspired by Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room attraction, while previous series have been themed after “Space Mountain”, the “Pirates of the Caribbean” ride and “It’s a Small World”.
13. ‘shopDisney’ has released limited edition dolls. Compared to other doll brands, what makes your doll collection more unique?
The Disney Designer Collection limited edition dolls are crafted by artists across the Walt Disney company. Each celebrates a Disney Princess and how the designer was inspired by the heroine’s story, resulting in a unique collection.
For example, the Snow White Limited Edition Doll is designed by Steve Thompson – a long-time Disney artist and designer who has worked on multiple animated films and is well-known for creating memorable artwork and products. Steve’s design contains many storytelling details that showcase Snow White’s inner strength and beauty, a modern representation of a beloved Disney Princess.
14. You have released collections for “Turning Red”, “Star Wars”, “Winnie the Pooh” and a few others so far. What are you currently working on for ‘shopDisney’?
Within the region, ‘shopDisney’ currently hosts over 1,000 products online, and there will also be new additions each month. Fans can expect more collections featuring much beloved characters like Grogu, from “The Mandalorian”, Stitch from “Lilo & Stitch”, and more inspired by the latest movies and Disney+ series.
We will also continue to launch global collections and collectibles, and shoppers will be able to get their hands on products that are exclusive to Disney Stores and Parks—which have never previously been available to fans in this market.
15. Merchandise inspired by Marvel movies and shows such as “Thor: Love and Thunder” and “Hawkeye” will be available soon at ‘shopDisney’. Can fans expect more merchandise from the Marvel franchise in the future, such as “Loki” or “Eternals”?
There is a high affinity for Marvel within the region as these stories continue to resonate across different backgrounds, cultures and generations. There will be more exciting products designed and developed, so stay tuned!
We’re Looking For A Lucky Winner To Go Shopping!
Wait, there’s more! We’re offering a shopping voucher worth RM 1000 (expiring on 16th July) to spend on shopDisney Malaysia. Interested? Simply share this article on your socials and tag us and tell us what you plan to purchase. Do also follow shopDisney’s Instagram to increase your chance. Contest ends 13th July 2022.
There’s more to come so check out their new collections and their weekly new arrivals on their website!
Neetashini Kanendran contributed to this article