There’s no denying that accidents do happen, no matter how many preventive measures we take. Unfortunately, some accidents end in tragedy.
A new MR. DIY store in Jalan Reko, Kajang, recently caught fire. The store which is still under renovation, has yet to be open to the public. However, one of their employees, who was inside during the fire was caught by the flames. He passed away yesterday (3rd July).
According to the statement released by the retail store, the fire broke out in their new store around 1.13pm on Sunday (3rd July). The fire reportedly started on the second-floor, which is supposedly where the employee had been.
The employee was believed to have been escaping from the flames when he succumbed to excessive smoke inhalation. He was later found in a coma on the stairwell leading to the second floor. The firefighters who found him reportedly discovered he had been badly burned as well. The employee notably suffered burns on the upper half of his body, including his head. Unfortunately, the employee could not be saved. He reportedly passed away later that day.
MR. DIY has informed and expressed their condolences to the employee’s family. “The employee was a Malaysian, aged 35, who has been part of the company for more than a year,” the company shared. “He was a hard working and committed employee.” They are also making the necessary arrangements and have promised to provide his family with support during their grief.
Currently, MR. DIY is helping relevant authorities in their investigation of the matter. They are working to discover the source of the fire and ensure preventive measures are taken. “Our priority continues to be the safety and wellbeing of all employees,” they stated. “We (will) continue to make every effort to ensure there is absolutely no compromise in this area.”
Well, we sincerely hope they can prevent accidents like this from happening again. Our hearts go out to the employee’s family and loved ones as well.