You may have watched those episodes of “Kitchen Nightmares” where celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay finds the most vile and just down right NASTY objects in his meals and thought to yourself “that has to be staged, there’s no way that can end up in there“.
Well, we’re here to tell you that it’s actually very possible. Even in our own country, Malaysia. We wish we were joking when we say it really does happen. Here are two incidents of such so you can be more careful about what you pick up and put into your mouth the next time you’re having a meal outside.
1. Roti Mop
“Aneh, roti canai banjir satu, tapi tak mau roti, ganti dengan keping-keping mop.” That is the dish that two sisters who went to a mamak store in Sepang were served. They placed an order for roti banjir and chicken fried rice. Unexpectedly, one of the sisters found something strange tasting and challenging to chew in her roti canai banjir. Naturally, she spat the item out because it tasted horrible.
What she thought was a tough piece of meat from the curry, was actually a thick string of cotton rope from a mop. The incident was then posted on TikTok by her 25-year-old sister, where you can see the girl in shock and appeared to be horrified in the video (we feel the same).
However, the sister also mentioned that the mamak shop was still charging them full price without offering any reductions. When the pair protested to the cashier, they apologised and asked if they wanted a new meal. However, they declined because they had lost whatever appetite was left.
“He apologised to us, but when we went to pay, everything was still calculated at full price with no discount or compensation,” she said. While the sister has previously found hairs when eating at this mamak store, the current situation is on a whole other level of unpleasant and just disgusting. Someone jokingly asked if the cook mops his roti canai before serving it to customers.
2. Hooked On
A female customer recently posted on Facebook about how her family had dinner at a restaurant and had ordered a large pot of curry fish head and saw that the fish head still included the fish hook.
“I find it unbelievable that the fish still has a fish hook in its head. Fortunately, my father observed it when he used a spoon to eat the meat rather than putting it in his mouth to bite it. What if it was someone else? What about kids? Imagine if they weren’t paying attention and consumed the fish hook?” she protested.
The customer immediately called the waiter over when she noticed the fish hook, and the waiter said, “Sorry, the kitchen is the issue. It’s messy in the kitchen.” The client anticipated at least an apology from the chef. However, the restaurant’s proprietor claimed it was “none of our business, it’s the supplier’s fault,” the restaurant owner said. He also declined to offer any sort of compensation/discount.
“It was the kitchen staff that removed the fish’s head. It was said to be the kitchen’s fault at first, but now it’s the supplier’s fault during checkout?” The customer added on that this could’ve gone so wrong but we’re glad the father was alert.
Seems like we really have to be careful when it comes to eating out. You just never know what could end up or stay latched on to your food. Stay safe out there foodies!