Another celebration for Malaysia this week, especially for the people of Sarawak. Sarawakian-born producer Alvin Wee recently won a Cinema Audio Society (CAS) Award in Hollywood for his work in Disney’s film “Encanto”.
Alvin won the award for his sound mixing work for the 2021 Disney hit film. The 34-year-old is also the first Malaysian to receive the coveted award, which recognises outstanding sound mixing and editing in film and television.
In an interview The Borneo Post, Alvin said he felt proud to receive the award with his co-workers and the entire “Encanto” team at the 58th Annual CAS Awards in LA. They managed to beat other nominees including “Luca”, “Raya and the Last Dragon”, and “Sing 2” in the Animated Motion Picture category this year.
“It’s a really tight race and the people that we were up against are the best the industry has to offer, so at no point was I taking that for granted. We knew the one thing we had going for us was the teamwork we had between the entire team, which I believe rarely comes by often,” he said.
“Encanto” has also earned three Academy Award nominations, including Best Original Score. Alvin has a lot to be grateful for and hopes that his success would be able to motivate the younger generation in the creative industry.
Prior to “Encanto”, Alvin has been credited in many known movies and video games so here are some fun facts about Alvin and the other project he’s been involved in over the years:
- Alvin Wee is from Kuching, Sarawak and currently resides in Los Angeles.
- Alvin’s education background include having Bachelor Degrees at Nusantara Institute of Information Technology and Berklee College of Music.
- Alvin took formal piano and guitar lessons as a child and once played in a Chinese orchestra.
- He has contributed to many projects including the Malaysia Day song in 2020, “Malaysia Prihatin” and Sarawak Day song last year, “Sarawak Gemilang”.
- As a mixer and sound engineer, he has credited work in films and games such as “After We Fell”, PUBG Mobile, “Uncharted: A Thief’s End” and “Kingsman: The Golden Circle”.
- As music producer, he has credited work in “Beyond Driven”, “American Exit” and “Top Gun: Maverick”.
Sources: Says, TheBorneoPost, Baskl, IMDb
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Telegram for more updates and breaking news.