Since last week, K-Pop fans all over the globe have been calling for Oliver Tree to come out from his hiding and issue an apology. This came after the internet star was caught using the late Jonghyun (종현)‘s funeral picture to promote his concert tour back in 2019.
The singer, who first gained widespread popularity thanks to his viral hit “When I’m Down”, uploaded a photoshopped image of himself on his YouTube community tab in conjunction with his “Goodbye Farewell Tour”. “Rest in peace, Sweet Bowl Cut,” he captioned the post.
After receiving massive criticisms from fans, Tree eventually took down the aforementioned post. That being said, it was later revealed that he didn’t issue any apology about the incident after all, much to the chagrin of many. It was only much later when he issued a statement regarding the matter.
Soon after the upsetting revelation came to light, several netizens have since taken to social media and also community platforms to vent their frustration over the matter. Others have also flooded the comments section to publicly criticise the “Life Goes On” singer, apart from demanding him to apologise for his disrespectful action towards the SHINee member.
Some of the comments by the fans include:
- “This came from a singer of the popular song on TikTok. I’m so upset just by reading this.”
- “It seems he wants to gain traction from K-Pop fans.”
- “Who the f**k laughs off using someone else’s funeral picture? Is he out of his mind? It’s not a stock picture.”
- “Why is he using someone’s trauma to entertain his fans? I don’t want this to be a meme. I hope he could just leave Jonghyun alone.”
올리버 트리라고 라잎고스온 부른 앤데 저 두 번째 사진에 지 얼굴 넣고 유튜브에 올림 진짜 개념 좆도 없는 pic.twitter.com/xG6LrAdCPF
— 옹 (@wLBpLoVBJRtbtAY) October 6, 2021
Is it funny for you? @Olivertree
How can you do something disrespectful & cruel like that? Using someone's actually funeral photo for a meme? Have you lost your mind?#apology_Olivertree#올리버트리_사과해#apologize_Olivertree pic.twitter.com/n0xVnGQHtp
— ` (@leinaa08) October 10, 2021
- “Us getting upset is not ‘extreme fans overreacting’. This is a legitimate reaction of anyone with some common sense.”
- “It looks like he deleted all his tweets regarding this incident.”
- “K-Pop fan or not, regardless of his nationality, how could a human being be this inconsiderate?”
- “Every single time when something like this happens, they say they didn’t mean it and we’re overreacting. I’m sick and tired of people using someone else’s trauma for their clout.”
You apologize late because you're reflecting on yourself?#apologize_Olivertree
We gave you plenty of time.#올리버트리_사과해
Don't try to make excuses and apologize.#apology_Olivertree
Your behavior is so unpleasant.
Reflect on your actions.
— ฅʕ •ﻌ• ʔฅ♬*ﾟ (@__stella__0) October 10, 2021
— adel but that's kinda gay🏳️🌈 (@heeeyloser) October 10, 2021
— VICKU 🦖 | brokewol ༎ຶ‿༎ຶ (@victor_drawss) October 10, 2021
A few fans later pointed out that Tree already came forward and posted a public apology “a few days ago”. But, of course, the damage has been done and there’s arguably nothing he can do about it.