It’s official – Ismail Sabri Yaakob has just been named the 9th Prime Minister of Malaysia.
Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah, who has been meeting with fellow rulers, is set to make the announcement soon.
Here are some known facts:
- This makes Ismail Malaysia’s 3rd prime minister in 3 years.
- Since he was deputy prime minister under Muhyiddin Yassin, the ruling coalition is expected to be kept intact.
- This also marks the return of UMNO – whom the people voted out during the 2018 general elections.
- The 61-year-old was able to secure the backing of 114 out of 220 lawmakers – slightly more than a simple majority..
- Ismail is scheduled to be sworn in tomorrow (Saturday, 21st August) in a tradition-steeped ceremony in the National Palace.
- With experience in law, he previously led the youth and sports, domestic trade, agriculture and rural and regional development ministries.
Follow us on Telegram for more updates and breaking news: https://t.me/hypemsia