Kang Min Hyuk (강민혁) has been giving fans a couple of interesting content lately. In addition to playing the handsome Lee Seung Yoo in “How to be Thirty” (아직 낫서른), the 30-year-old musician’s latest acting gig sees him in “Oh! Master” (오! 주인님), or “Oh My Ladylord”.
In this romance series, the CNBLUE drummer plays Jung Yu Jin, a close friend of Oh Joo-in since high school. As a successful artist abroad, Jung Yu Jin is now back in South Korea to woo back his teenage crush. In this interview, Kang Min Hyuk talks about what drew him to this project and what he enjoys watching during his free time.
1. How did you prepare for your role? Were there any skills or characteristics which you had to pick up?
The scriptwriter asked me to portray my character as someone who is warm-hearted, caring and considerate. After giving it some thought, I concluded that I should portray Yu Jin as someone who’s always at ease.
2. What kind of drama do you like to watch? Why?
I enjoy watching thrillers, documentaries, and dramas. It’s exciting watching thrillers, which keeps you on the edge of your seat. It’s interesting to pick up new facts and knowledge from documentaries. It’s a joy to learn new things.
3. How would you describe your character in this show? Do you identify with the personality and story of your character?
Yu Jin only has eyes for his first love, Joo In, from the day he met her. He also has a heart of gold. You could say that his optimism is similar to my character.
4. What’s Jung Yu Jin’s role in the story of Han Bi Soo and Oh Joo In? What is the one defining moment of your character?
Yu Jin is friends with Joo In. Even though he is in love with Joo In, he prioritises Joo In’s well-being over his personal feelings. He stands by Joo In, and is her reliable pillar of strength. That’s what I like about Yoo Jin.
5. What is your character’s charm? What do you like about this character?
Yu Jin is motivated and handles himself confidently. His thoughtful and attentive nature makes him an attractive guy, plus he doesn’t hold grudges.
6. After a 3-year break from acting, how do you feel being back on set again? What is the biggest challenge acting again after taking a break?
Before joining the cast of “Oh! Master”, I filmed the drama “How to be Thirty“, which allowed me to get back on track as an actor. That filming experience relieved my awkwardness and anxiety I felt from returning to the set for the first time after my military discharge.
7. If you were a writer, what kind of dramas would you want to write?
I would like to write a mystery or a thriller, something full of tense moments, which will keep audiences on the edge of their seats.
8. Have you ever worked with NANA before? How do you feel after working with her?
This is my first time working with NANA. We had a blast working together, she brings such a positive energy to the set.
P/s: Interestingly NANA had something different to say about this here.
9. How would you rate your love chemistry score for your couple pairing? (NANA & Kang Min Hyuk)?
You are putting me on a spot here. It would be wonderful if you could give us a score after watching the show.