One of the hottest and (most possibly) saddest topic of conversation among K-Pop fans would definitely be the military enlistment! And looks like this year will be no different, despite the Covid-19 pandemic.
Ready to bid these boys farewell? Check out this list of idols who will be enlisting (and have already enlisted) for mandatory military service this year:
1. Infinite’s L (김명수)
- Birthday: 13th March 1992
- The singer-turned-actor had enlisted in the Marine Corps on 22nd February.
- He has just wrapped his final TV drama before his military service, titled “Royal Secret Agent”, with Kwon Nara and Lee Tae Hwan. Check out our exclusive interview with him here.
2. Pentagon’s Hui (후이)
- Birthday: 28th August 1993
- The idol was initially scheduled to enlist in the army as a public service worker back on 3rd December. However, due to the Covid-19 outbreak in Korea, the date has been pushed to this coming 18th February.
- Hui is well-known an “all-rounder” idol and is frequently praised for his vocal, acting, songwriting, producing, and composing skills.
3. EXO’s Chanyeol (찬열)
- Birthday: 27th November 1992
- Chanyeol has been confirmed to enlist in the military as an active-duty soldier this coming 29th March.
- With this, the 29-year-old will be the 5th EXO member to enter the army (Xiumin and D.O have already been discharged, while Suho and Chen are still currently serving in the military).
4. SHINee’s Taemin (태민)
- Birthday: 18th July 1993
- He is close friends with EXO’s Kai, VIXX’s Ravi, BTS’ Jimin, and also former Wanna One member Ha Sung Woon.
- Back in 2013, Taemin appeared in the variety show “We Got Married”, where he “tied the knot” with Naeun, a member of the girl group Apink.
- Update (Tuesday, 20th March): Taemin announced via V Live broadcast last night that he will be enlisting on 31st May 2021.
5. Newkidd’s Ji Hansol (지한솔)
- Birthday: 21st November 1994
- The former member of the project group UNB had begun his mandatory military service as a public service worker on 22nd February.
- He was part of SM Rookies under SM Entertainment and was slated to debut in NCT.
6. BLOCK B’s P.O (피오)
- Birthday: 2nd February 1993
- P.O is known to be good friends with WINNER rapper Mino.
- He starred in the famous K-drama “Hotel Del Luna”, taking on the role as hotel receptionist Ji Hyun Joong.
7. BeWhy (비와이)
- Birthday: 15th June 1993
- Some of his nicknames include Umji (엄지), Daniel Sturridge (다니엘 스터리지), Acorn (도토리) and Park Sae Roi (박새로이)
- He’s a devoted Christian, most of his songs are faith-based and religion-based.
- Update (Monday, 26th July): Bewhy will be enlisting in the army on 23rd August, where he will serve as a Marine Corps police officer.
8. Seo Kang Joon (서강준)
- Birthday: 12th October 1993
- He rose to fame as a talented pianist named Baek In Ho in the college romance drama “Cheese In The Trap” (2016).
- He studied in Malaysia for 17 months when he was 17 years old.
9. WINNER’s MINO (송민호)
- Birthday: 30th March 1993
- His most recent single is titled, “Run Away”, with fellow WINNER teammate Yoon making his appearance as a cameo in the MV.
- Two other members of the “Really Really” jam-maker group, Jinu and Hoon, enlisted in the military last year.
10. VIXX’s Ravi (라비)
- Birthday: 15th February 1993
- He established his own hip-hop label called Groovl1n,
- Late last year, word on the street has it that Ravi was dating Taeyeon from SNSD, though both sides later shut down the rumours.
Update (Monday, 8th March)
11. DAY6’s Sungjin (성진)
- Birthday: 16th January 1993
- Sungjin took to V Live earlier today to share that he was on his way to the military training centre, surprising fans with his sudden enlistment news.
- Just last month, it has been confirmed that the rock band is set to make their comeback as a full group some time in April this year.
Update (Tuesday, 20th April):
12. D1CE’s Yonggeun (용근)
- Birthday: 23rd January 1995
- He previously competed in the survival shows “Produce 101” season 2 and also “MIXNINE”.
- Earlier on Monday (19th April), Yonggeun personally informed his fans that he will be enlisting in the military on 6th May.
Out of all these Hallyu stars, who will you miss the most? In the meantime, stay tuned to these updates on more idols who are set to enlist in the military this year.
13. Monsta X’s Shownu (셔누)
His full statement:
“Hello, how are you doing? This is MONSTA X’s Shownu.
From 22nd July, I will be taking a short hiatus as I fulfil my national defence duties. It feels like just yesterday when I made my debut, but now it’s time for me to go to the military.
As I worked hard until now, I have experienced both joy and hardship and various meaningful moments with the members and the fans. The love and support that I’ve received from fans is not just the love between one person and another but something much bigger than that. There were times when I unconsciously began to take it for granted and times when I realized that I shouldn’t.
Thank you for letting me feel and experience so many things through MONSTA X. I will do my best to repay you, so please continue to have fun with MONSTA X and Shownu. Thank you so much for letting me realize that I am able to live through new things each day.
The life I’m living now. The path I chose could have been worse than what had been originally there, or it could be better, or it could be an excessive life beyond the point of words, I don’t know. I think that happiness is living while feeling things like gratitude and thankfulness and love and disappointment and regrets. Regardless of whether I’m living a good or bad life, I think I’m just a happy person.
Since I started talking about life just because I won’t be able to promote for a little bit, I must be nervous. Anyway, thank you and stay happy and healthy.
Letters should end abruptly, right? Love you always. Yes, I love you, and let’s meet again soon.”
Update (Monday, 26th July):
14. Jang Ki Yong (장기용)
Earlier today, the actor’s agency YG Entertainment confirmed that he will be enlisting in the military on 23rd August. They revealed, “Actor Jang Ki Yong will enlist as an active duty soldier on August 23 after concluding filming for his drama “Now, We Are Breaking Up” (literal title) (with Song Hye Kyo).”
The agency then added, “To prevent the spread of Covid-19 disease, the location and time of his enlistment will not be revealed. This was an inevitable decision made for the safety of fans and reporters, so we ask for your understanding. Please show support for Jang Ki Yong as he diligently completes his mandatory service and returns in good health. Thank you.”
Follow us on Telegram for more updates and breaking news: https://t.me/hypemsia