“Bling Empire” season 1 had wrapped filming over a year ago, but it only debuted on Netflix less than 2 weeks ago. Many would agree that all the Crazy Rich Asians came off as superficial, the reality show was a nice distraction from reality.
Beyond the glitz and glamour, “Bling Empire” also touched on more substantial topics like infertility, expectations from Asian parents, and traditional family values – in addition to the (scripted?) drama (who could forget the infamous penis pump). Netflix recently caught up with the cast to find out what they’ve been up to lately.
1. Kevin Kreider got his own apartment. The model-producer is no longer co-living with his roommates. Starring in a hit series has afforded him to fork out US$1,700 monthly for a 500 sq ft apartment.
Fun fact: Kelly Mi Li discovered Kevin on social media and was responsible for introducing him to Kane.
2. Kane Lim and Anna Shay have been shopping BFFs during the pandemic. “During Covid, there was no shopping, no nothing,” Kane said. “Having a friend like Anna? Nothing’s shut down.” The pair would be outside of a Gucci store and the sales associates would hold up items for them to select through the window.
How did Kane’s parents reacted to the success of “Bling Empire”? “When ‘Bling Empire’ hit number one on Netflix Singapore, I actually texted my parents and there were no comments from them. And they actually criticised certain things that are in the press and I’m like, ‘Dad I cannot control what is said on the media’,” he told Harpers Bazaar Singapore.
In fact, he proudly announced it in his family Whatsapp group chat… only to be completely ignored. “You know Asian parents,” he sighed. “I could tell that everyone read my messages, but there was no comment, so I deleted them. I was a bit disappointed, but I’m used to it. (Laughs) The funny thing is they told me that their friends are proud of me, but I’m like, ‘I don’t care what they think, I want to know what you think!’”
3. Christine Chiu‘s feelings are still hurt. “When I’m watching Anna play games, changing my seat, or telling me the wrong time to show up, watching it replay, it hurts still, a little bit, now,” she said. “I do know Anna’s heart; and I respect her. It is what it is.”
4. Anna maintains that Christine is fake. “I didn’t feel that certain people were really real,” Anna explained. “When I see someone like Christine, it is very very hard for me to take her seriously. When I first met her, she was very different than she is now.” The two have not stayed in contact.
5. Jaime Xie just discovered what a penis pump is. She Googled it during the video call with Netflix.
6. Kelly Mi Li and Andrew Gray have reconciled. Despite their toxic relationship, the couple have gotten back together. “The relationship that changed the most since filming is definitely my relationship with Andrew,” Kelly shared.
She added, “I didn’t know what the word gaslighting meant until now. I actually had to look it up… I definitely see where the audience is coming from. They saw a period, a really dark period of our relationship. With Andrew’s behaviour, I don’t excuse it at all. I think it’s 100 per cent wrong. After filming we took a good five month or six month break where we just focused on ourselves. Going to therapy individually and just learning about ourselves… now that we’re back in communication and back seeing each other, it’s just been night and day.”
7. Are Cherie Chan and Jessey Lee walking down the aisle anytime soon? “We definitely don’t have a date, we don’t want to have a Zoom wedding, we don’t want to plan and have a small wedding or people to get sick,” Cherie said. “We don’t know anything yet. Nothing is set in stone yet.”
8. We need to talk about the kiss cliffhanger between Kevin and Kim Lee. “Me and Kim’s relationship has changed a lot,” Kevin told the streaming platform. “Me and Kim talk about relationships a lot. Is there an attraction? I don’t know. She’s hot, how could I not? Kim and I do not follow each other on Instagram. We still have that social media rivalry thing. If I follow you first, but you don’t follow me back, does that mean now that I like you more? It’s a commitment now, following her this time. She watches every one of my stories.”
9. Jaime’s only regret is not showing more of her fashion choices: “I didn’t have access to my full closet. I brought, like, one-fiftieth of what I actually have.”