The Swiss Alps is one of the most picturesque destinations in the entire world. To be able to bask in the beauty of snow-capped mountains, refreshingly cold weather and crystal white snow is a dream for any wanderlust traveller, especially now more than ever during these difficult times.
Until this pandemic is under control, let’s take this opportunity to dream and plan for when it’s time to escape Malaysia’s sweltering heat and head to the Swiss Alps! But which mountain should we first head to?
Even for seasoned travellers to Switzerland, it can be hard to pick which peak to visit as each have their own appeals and attractions as well as levels of difficulties in reaching. Some might be more suited for hiking or an overnight trip while others is best admired from afar.
The Alpine region is so vast and gigantic that planning a trip there is definitely a challenge. But fret not, we have broken down pros and cons of the best mountains in Switzerland for you to weigh in based on your individual interest and itineraries.
Keep reading to start planning!
Jungfrau is known as the “Top of Europe” because it is home to the highest train station in the whole of Europe, situated just 700m below the mountain’s peak itself. It is one of the highest points in the Swiss Alps. Thus, travellers can enjoy beautiful panoramic views of the entire region that’s joyously home to vast meadows, lush green landscapes, picture-perfect towns, hamlets and glaciers.
- The best part about visiting Jungfrau is that it can be conveniently visited all-year-round.
- You can visit the Snow Fun Park to enjoy multiple activities, such as skiing, hiking, ice skating and zip lining.
- The park is family friendly and offers many activities that are suitable for kids.
- Easily accessible and handicap friendly due to the availability of elevators, ramps, and wheelchair lifts to lead you onto step-free routes and smooth terrain.
- As a popular travel destination, so it can be very crowded especially during the summer.
- Can only be visited by train.
- You may also have to take multiple modes of transport to ride the Jungfrau Railway directly, which takes approximately 2 hours in total to reach the top.
- The trains maybe overcrowded with longer waiting times, so do make sure to reserve a seat early!
Given the headache you might encounter just trying to reach the Top of Europe due to queues, advance ticketing books and so on, why not allow Sedunia Travel to take care of that for you?
Titlis is special for featuring the world’s first ever revolving cable car. This destination is all about mountain adventures when visiting the TITLIS Adventure Park. The summit is located above the snow line, so it’s always cold and snowy in this area. No matter when you decide to visit this location, there will be permanent snow covered mountains and freezing temperatures.
- Titlis can be enjoyed both during the summer and the winter.
- There are a variety of activities for each season: During winter, you can participate in snowshoe trails, cross-country ski runs, a toboggan run and winter walking trails. During summer, you enjoy hiking, mountain biking, climbing, rowing on Trübsee lake and scootering.
- Comparatively affordable, as nearly all activities are included in the Titlis entrance ticket itself.
- Handicap and family friendly.
- Can be easily accessed by train, car and cable car.
- Parking charges applied are for cars.
- Dining at restaurants in Mt. Titlis is very expensive, so if you’re on a budget it’s better to bring a picnic or grab some snacks at a supermarket in Engelberg town.
For a hassle-free holiday, consider taking up this 5D4N Best of Switzerland package that gives you the option to visit Mt Titlis.
While nearly every mountain in the Swiss Alps is known for snow and winter activities, the Rigi is also popular for its unique boat rides. Located near Lake Lucerne, the Rigi offers boat rides to nearby places like Weggis or Vitznau. This boating experience is made even more special due to the old-fashioned steamers being used, which is undoubtedly different from most of the other experiences available in the Swiss Alps.
- Offers a unique experience that is unlike any other mountain in the Swiss Alps.
- Can be easily accessed via a choice 3 routes that include either a boat, train or bus.
- Transport up and down the mountain is free for those with a Swiss Travel Pass.
- Handicap and family friendly.
- Includes barrier-free trail paths for those pushing prams.
- Time consuming journey to reach Mount Rigi; Within 30 – 60 minutes.
- While Rigi can be accessed year-round, it is better to visit during Spring or Summer due to harsh winds.
- Daylight hours are very short during the winter season and the best time to climb the mountain is only in the morning.
This 7D6N Swiss Magical Moments package lets you experience a horse-drawn carriage on Mount Rigi – an experience with a view like no other!
Did you know that the Toblerone chocolate’s logo is said to be designed after the shape of the Matterhorn? While the mountain’s shape is quite appealing, it’s not an easy climb for many. But those who dare climb it will be rewarded with picturesque views of the Swiss Alps. On a clear day, you can even spot the highest mountain range in Europe, Mount Blanc. This mountain, however, is perhaps best appreciated from afar, from where you can take this iconic Toblerone shot!
- You can enjoy year-round skiing on the Matterhorn.
- Stunning views of the most distinct mountain in Switzerland.
- Those looking for a more leisurely climb can visit the ideally located Hörnli Hut at the base of the mountain.
- Matterhorn also lies beside the quaint little town of Zermatt, which is one of the best ski resorts in the alps.
- A clear view of the Matterhorn is very difficult to enjoy on most days, you will have to arrange your trip during times of sunny and cloudless weather.
- Wheelchair accessibility is available only within the Zermatt town.
Get a glimpse of the iconic peak with the 5D4N Famous Mountain Peaks package that includes a non-guided Gornergrat excursion for the best views of Matterhorn!
5. Glacier 3000
Glacier 3000 is a skiing and hiking resort that will awaken you in the most invigorating way. Standing on this massive mountain range that towers over the entire world will make you realise how great Mother Earth is. This will also remind you that there’s truly so much to see and do when in the Swiss Alps!
- The “Peak Walk by Tissot”, which is the first and only suspension bridge to connect two mountain peaks, is free and is open everyday – depending on the weather.
- Enjoy scenic views of other famous mountains, such as Mount Blanc, Jungfrau, Matterhorn and more!
- Glacier 3000 can only be accessed through cable car, which takes around 20-30 minutes.
- Glacier 3000 has many adrenaline pumping activities for families and friends, such as the Alpine Coaster, Dogsled Ride and a Glacier Flight that will offer you stunning views of the Swiss Alps.
- Wheelchairs can be transported on lifts and cable cars.
- The resort’s winter ski season operates only from mid-November to mid-May.
- The Les Diablerets region, where Glacier 3000 is located, requires multiple transits if travelling by public transport.
- Operational days are limited, so early bookings will be needed.
Given that bookings are limited, engaging the services of Sedunia Travel might be the way to go for ensure you don’t miss out on this experience!
Mount Pilatus is situated in Lucerne, Central Switzerland and has a wide array of over 2,000 holiday activities, that not only includes just skiing or hiking, but also gives you the chance to enjoy the Swiss city life. From mouth-watering Sunday brunches with a stunning backdrop to hikes on Mount Pilatus, this destination has it all.
- On a clear day, you will be able to enjoy the panoramic view of 74 Alpine peaks and Lake Lucerne from the terrace at the top.
- Pilatus can be reached on a spectacular cogwheel train, which is the steepest train ride in the world! The train crosses a fierce landscape with impressive rock walls and all this makes your journey to Pilatus absolutely phenomenal.
- Both the cogwheel trains and cable cars are open year round from 8am to 5pm everyday, with a short maintenance break usually at the end of October or early November.
- Handicap and family friendly.
- Better to plan your trip during afternoon to avoid the morning fog from blocking your scenic views.
- In case of waiting times, a time ticket is required in addition to the e-ticket purchased beforehand. This can only be purchased on the square at the Infopoint.
Enjoy a ride on the steepest cogwheel train in the world with this 8D7N Highlights of Switzerland package.
This mountain is also located near Lucerne and it is extremely scenic with abundant natural beauty all around. Travelling to Mt. Stanserhorn is also excitingly unique as its CabriO cable car is the first in the world to boast a roofless upper deck, bringing you intimately closer to the Swiss landscape and fresh air.
- Home to the first CabriO cable car, a roofless upper deck that only takes six minutes to the peak.
- Great for a half day excusion as the town of Stans is only a 15 minutes drive from Lucerne.
- The Swiss Travel Pass packages includes unlimited use of public transport, free access to more than 500 museums, and discounts on a variety of other activities.
- The cable car’s lower deck is accessible for wheelchairs and prams.
- Activities at Mount Stanserhorn are open only during the summer season, which is usually from April to mid-November.
- It does not offer as many activities as some of the other winter and summer resorts in Switzerland.
- E-tickets for the CabriO cable cars should be booked in advance as they can get very crowded.
Of course, you can always speak to Sedunia Travel for assistance in sorting out the arrangements for your visit to Mount Stanserhorn.
8. Monte Rosa
Placed beautifully in the centre of Italy and Switzerland, the Monte Rosa is the highest mountain in Switzerland with an elevation of an astonishing 4,634 meters. Monte Rosa is also the highest mountain in the entire Western Europe region and second in height only to Mont Blanc – giving it even more reason to be a must-visit destination!
- Monte Rosa Hut located at the base of the mountain offers a unique space-age theme to present a cosmically dreamy feel to your visit and provides stunning views of the Monte Rosa towering above.
- Memorable hiking experience unlike any other to reach Monte Rosa Hut as it includes a glacier crossing!
- For non-hikers, it can be sighted from the Gornergrat Train for a Panoramic 360 view of the mountains including the imposing Matterhorn. Win-win!
- As the highest mountain in the Swiss Alps, reaching its peak is a feat best accomplished by skilled mountaineers.
- A mountain guide is necessary for all excursions on the mountain.
- Requires a multi-day visit.
- Climbing Monte Rosa is not handicap friendly. However, hotels with accessibility are available within the nearby areas.
Due to the tricky logistic arrangements, why not consult with an experienced travel agency such as Sedunia Travel so that you can one day sleep under the stars on the Swiss Alps!
Wow, the Swiss Alps are really something – to say the least! These mountains are true wonders of nature making them a bucket list destination for any traveller. We can list down each winning feature of each mountain but ultimately, it is you the reader who should decide which mountain is your favourite when you travel to Switzerland to experience the Alps yourself.
So while you are scratching your head over which Alps to visit, why not let Sedunia Travel take care of the travel arrangements?
Sedunia Travel, in partnership with Swiss Tourism, is ready to assist you with your plans to Switzerland with customisable packages, on-ground arrangements, muslim-friendly options and flexible bookings. They can assist with ticket bookings and ensure the right booking times so that you need not spend half your holiday waiting in queues. You can even consult their experienced travel agents on which mountains work best for you, which mode of transport, when to go and what to do.
Get in touch with Sedunia Travel for an exceptionally easy and convenient visit to the Swiss Alps that you so rightfully deserve. If there is anything this year has taught us, it is to grab every opportunity to travel while we can!
Head on over to Sedunia Travel for your 2021 Switzerland packages.