S. Pavithra’s husband, M. Sugu has been charged at the Ipoh Sessions Court for possessing a dangerous weapon in a public space.
Based on the charge, he was accused of possessing a 26-inch long sickle in an incident which took place at the parking lot of Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital (HRPB) in Ipoh, at about 6pm, on Tuesday (21st July).
The YouTuber pleaded not guilty to the offence after the charges against him were read out in Tamil before Judge Mohd Fauzi Mohd Nasir, reported Harian Metro. The prosecution was conducted by Deputy Public Prosecutor Mohd Waffy Ismail.
Sugu has been charged under Section 6 (1) of the Corrosive Materials and Dangerous Weapons Act 1958. If found guilty, he could be jailed for up to 10 years and sentenced to canning. Mohd Waffy also requested the court to set the bail at RM20,000 to ensure that the accused is present throughout the trial.
However, Mahindret requested for a lower bail, citing the housewife’s financial setback as a justification. “The wife can only afford to pay a bail of between RM5,000 and RM10,000,” Mahindret told the media. He also hoped that the bail will be allowed by the court as Sugu has two young children aged two and eight.
Mahindret explained, “The kids need him. Furthermore, the case was just a misunderstanding between the couple. The wife had also withdrawn the report she lodged against Sugu the following day (22nd July).”
Speaking to the press about the recent incident, Pavithra assured everyone that she had already forgiven her husband. “My husband and I will continue to live our life as usual. We will also resume producing contents for our YouTube channel at any time,” the 29-year-old was quoted as saying.
The court then set a bail of RM10,000, with Sugu required to report to the nearest police station on the first day of every month until the case is completed.
It was also revealed that the re-mentioning of the case will be held on 17th August.
Update (25th July):
In speaking to New Straits Times, Pavithra also shared that she’ll be turning down any form of recognition or award for the time being as their family are just ordinary people that want to live normal lives.
“We do not want to accept the ‘Ipoh City Icon’ award… we do not want that or any other award. We are only ordinary people, and we want to focus on our YouTube channel,” the YouTuber told reporters.
“We are not deserving of the ‘Ipoh City Icon’ award as there are so many other talented people out there who are more deserving than us. We want to live a normal life like others. We want to focus on our family, that’s all. We don’t want to be recognised by others. Let us enjoy life like we used to before,” she added.
Source: Harian Metro.