When BLACKPINK (블랙핑크) asked us “How You Like That” last Friday (26th June), the answer from fans was unanimous.
Since then, the South Korean mega girl-group has been breaking records and snatching wigs left and right. It’s been a long time coming, but it was worth the wait. We’ve compiled all the records the quartet has broken so far:
1. Biggest YouTube Premiere In History: BBC News reported that 1.65 million viewers tuned in to watch the “How You Like That” music video premiere. The previous record holder was BTS’s “ON” (with 1.54 million people during the premiere).
2. Fastest K-Pop Girl Group MV To Hit 10 Million Views: It took only 3 hours and 40 minutes for “How You Like That” to reach 10 mil. The previous record was “Kill This Love” at 4 hours and 13 minutes.
3. Fastest Korean Group To Hit 20 Million Views: The duration for BLACKPINK’s comeback single was 4 hours and 32 minutes. Previous record holder BTS’s “Boy With Luv” – 5 hours and 3 minutes.
4. Fastest Korean Group To Hit 30 Million Views: In 6 hours and 48 minutes.
5. BLACKPINK is the first girl group to debut #1 in approximately 2 years on Korea’s largest music site, Melon.
6. “How You Like That” recorded over 100,000 unique listeners in the first hour of its debut on Melon – making it the highest number in history for a girl group.
7. Fastest Korean Group To Hit 40 Million Views: In 8 hours and 37 minutes.
8. Fastest Korean Group To Hit 50 Million Views: In 11 hours and 25 minutes.
#BLACKPINK representing the four elements: AIR, EARTH, FIRE, WATER
🪁🌷🌞🎣 ➖🌪 🌍 🔥 🌊 pic.twitter.com/3PCp9FG8Xb
— 젠바🙈💕 (@jendeukiebabo) June 26, 2020
9. Fastest Korean Group To Hit 60 Million Views: In 15 hours and 8 minutes.
10. The smash single reached #1 on iTunes Top Songs charts in at least 60 different regions. In the United States, “How You Like That” also set an new all-time record for girl groups.
11. Fastest Korean Group To Hit 70 Million Views: In 19 hours and 55 minutes.
12. Hit 80 Million Views: In 23 hours.
13. Hit over 82.4 million views within 24 hours.
14. Hit 90 Million Views: In a day, two hours, and six minutes.
15. “How You Like That” soared past 100 million views in a day, eight hours, and 22 minutes.
16. “How You Like That” debuted at No. 5 on Spotify’s daily Global Top 50 chart – a new record for girl groups overall (not just K-pop).
17. It also climbed to #2 on Spotify’s daily global chart over the weekend. This is the highest-ranking song of any K-pop artist in Spotify history. The previous record was BTS at #3.
Re-watch BLACKPINK’s powerful visual here:
BLACKPINK also made history today by being the first K-pop group music video to surpass 1.2 billion views on YouTube with “DDU-DU DDU-DU”. The only other Korean music videos to do so are PSY’s “Gangnam Style” and “Gentleman”.