Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has announced today (Friday, 27th March) that RM250 billion will be channelled towards the Bantuan Prihatin National (BPN) scheme as part of the Prihatin Rakyat Economic Stimulus Package.
The package is part of the measures to cushion the impact from the coronavirus pandemic for 9 million Malaysians in the country. There will also be a one-off cash payments for the lower-income B40 and middle-income M40 groups.
Here are the highlights obtained from Muhyiddin’s announcement:
- Celcom, Digi, Maxis, and U Mobile will be providing free 1GB Internet data on a daily basis. Do refer to your respective telcos.
- E-hailing drivers will receive a RM500 one-off financial aid while taxi drivers stand to receive RM600.
- RM1,600 will be given to households with an accumulative income of RM4,000 and below.
- RM1,000 will be given to households with an accumulative income of RM4,000 to RM8,000 a month.
- RM800 will be given to individuals aged 21 and above with an income of RM2,000 and below.
- RM500 will be given to individuals aged 21 and above with an income of RM2,001 to RM4,000 a month.
- Students in Higher-learning education institutions to receive one-off payments of RM200.
- Medical front-liners receive RM400-600 a month (doctors, nurses and medical staff starting 1st April 2020 until end of MCO.
- Army, PDRM, customs officers and RELA to receive RM200 starting 1st April 2020 until end of MCO).
- Exemption of rental payment for PPR and public housing for six months.
- Government together with TNB will add an allocation of RM530mil for discounts between 15% and 50% for electricity usage up to a maximum of 600kW a month for six months from the April bill.
- Govt will introduce a wage subsidy of RM600 a month for three months for employers with a 50% drop in business since Jan 1, for workers with a salary of below RM4,000.
Having said that, there’s been no mention of out these household and individuals will be chosen. There’s also a question mark on how the public will receive the financial aid.