After wreaking havoc on the world with movies like “Independence Day”, “The Day After Tomorrow” and “2012”, Roland Emmerich has turned his focus to World War II and the Battle of Midway for “Midway”.
Based on the real-life events of Pacific Theater’s turning point (the war between the Allies and Japanese Empire), the film chronicles the heroic and harrowing exploits of the soldiers and aviators who achieved the unbelievable.
As seen in the posters, “Midway” has a bunch of Hollywood A-listers. The star-studded cast includes Patrick Wilson as Admiral Edwin Layton, Luke Evans as Commander Wade McClusky, Woody Harrelson as Admiral Chester Nimitz, Mandy Moore and Darren Criss, together with co-stars Aaron Eckhart, Nick Jonas, Dennis Quaid, Keean Johnson and Tadanobu Asano.
“It shows an America that’s not the superpower, a country that just came out of a big recession and tried to stay out of a war but got sucked into it. It was a simpler time, but it also was a time where you had to put your life in danger for ideals,” the filmmaker explained to USA Today on what viewers can expect.
“My dad was in World War II, so there’s a personal connection there,” Dennis Quaid, who plays Admiral William Halsey Jr., shares. “That generation sacrificed so much for all of us, for something bigger than themselves. This film, in a way, is dedicated to that generation.”
Pop star Nick Jonas, who portrays aviation machinist mate Bruno Gaido, explains why he was drawn to the role. “I have an affinity for stories where there is brotherhood and camaraderie at the heart of it. Maybe that’s because I’m close to my brothers and understand the dynamic in that relationship. It’s also a story that needs to be told,” the singer said.
Thanks to our friends from TGV, we’ve got 20 pairs of “Midway” movie tickets to give away. So who’s up for a movie date with Hype? Details of the screening are as below:
- Date: 6th November 2019 (Wednesday)
- Time: Ticket collection at 8:30pm
- Location: TGV 1 Utama
P/s: We also have in-season passes in case you can’t make it for the screening on that night.
Here’s how to win the passes:-
- Like Hype Malaysia’s Facebook, follow us on Instagram @hypemy and Twitter @HypeMY.
- Share this post on your Facebook and Twitter.
- Tag 1 (One) friend who you want to take to the movie and complete this caption: “I want to watch ‘Midway’ because…” (no word limit).
- Include the hashtags #HypeMYxMidway, and make sure that your post privacy is set to public.
- Private Message us the link to your post on Facebook after you’re done. Include your Twitter and Instagram handles for us to verify.
- Winners will be contacted privately via Facebook by 5th November 2019.
- Hype.my’s decision is final. Further correspondence will not be entertained.
- Here is a step-by-step guide to help you from getting disqualified.
“Midway” will debut in local cinemas on 7th November 2019.