The 2017 MTV Movie and TV Awards was held in the early morning on Monday. For most Malaysians, it wasn’t easy to catch the show as we have other commitments (read: work, school, etc). If you missed it, fret not, ‘cos we’re here to update you ;)
This year’s edition, hosted by “Pitch Perfect”‘s Adam Devine, is a complete revamp of the original awards, which was known as the MTV Movie Awards. Instead of only giving out awards to movies, MTV has decided to recognise TV shows too.
A few more changes were implemented, with MTV deciding to abolish the gender-based awards. Instead of awarding actors and actresses respectively, only one award was handed out to nominees despite their gender.
Not only did “Beauty And The Beast” won “Movie Of The Year”, Emma Watson’s performance as Belle also won her the “Best Actor In A Movie” award. This was followed by “Stranger Things” as “Show Of The Year”, with Millie Bobby Brown winning “Best Actor In A Show”.
Although “Get Out” led the show with 7 nominations, they only managed 2 win: main actor Daniel Kaluuya for the “Next Generation” award and TSA agent Lil Rel Howery for “Best Comedic Performance”.
Other highlights include the release of the “Wonder Woman” full trailer, new footage for the horror movie “IT”, as well as a sneak peek for “Spider-Man: Homecoming”.
J Balvin, Pitbull, and Camila Cabello also came together for the 1st TV performance of “Hey Ma”, the original soundtrack for “Fate Of The Furious”. The performance was held to commemorate the “MTV Generation Award” win for “The Fast And The Furious” franchise.
Full list of winners is as follows:
- Movie Of The Year: “Beauty And The Beast”
- Best Actor In A Movie: Emma Watson (“Beauty And The Beast”)
- Show Of The Year: “Stranger Things”
- Best Actor In A Show: Millie Bobby Brown (“Stranger Things”)
- Best Kiss: Ashton Sanders and Jharrel Jerome (“Moonlight”)
- Best Villain: Jeffrey Dean Morgan (“The Walking Dead”)
- Best Host: Trevor Noah (“The Daily Show”)
- Best Documentary: “13th”
- Best Reality Competition: “RuPaul’s Drag Race”
- Best Comedic Performance: Lil Rel Howery (“Get Out”)
- Best Hero: Taraji P. Henson (“Hidden Figures”)
- Tearjerker: Milo Ventimiglia and Lonnie Chavis (“This Is Us”)
- Next Generation: Daniel Kaluuya
- Best Duo: Hugh Jackman and Dafne Keen (“Logan”)
- Best American Story: “Blackish”
- Best Fight Against The System: “Hidden Figures”
- Trending: “Run The World (Girls)” by Channing Tatum and Beyonce (“Lip Sync Battle”)
- Best Musical Moment: “You’re The One That I Want” – Ensemble (“Grease: Live”)
- MTV Generation Award: “The Fast And The Furious” franchise
Catch the rerun of the award show on MTV at 8pm.
So, what do you think of the winners? Did your favourites win? Leave your comments in the comment box below! :)