It’s the awards event we’ve been waiting for. Somewhat like the Academy Awards, but catered for youngsters.
The MTV Movie Awards celebrates some of the most widely-beloved blockbusters releases of the year. The fun award program takes a more casual approach in celebrating cinema by turning the spotlight on categories such as “Best Fight”, “Best Villain”, and the highly coveted “Best Kiss” award. It’s in-your-face, youthful and rather silly, but usually a reliable good time.
Hosted by Kevin Hart and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, the MTV Movie Awards celebrated it’s 25th anniversary at the Warner Brothers Studio backlot in Burbank, California. And as expected, it brought a slew of A-list superstars.
The Force was strong at this year’s MTV Movie Awards, as “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” blasted past all the other films to emerge as the big winner, taking home the Golden Popcorn for “Movie of the Year” and earning individual citations for Adam Driver (“Best Villain” as the evil Kylo Ren) and Daisy Ridley (“Breakthrough Performance” for playing the steely Rey).
— MTV (@MTV) April 11, 2016ADVERTISEMENT
Meanwhile “Deadpool” took home 2 wins. Ryan Reynolds, who won the “Best Comedic Performance” statue, joked about his sex life with wife Blake Lively during his acceptance speech saying, “I want to thank my wife, Blake. Everything I do is to make her laugh, especially the sex!”
The 39-year-old actor accepted yet another award for “Best Fight” for his cinematic battle against Ajax (Ed Skrein) in “Deadpool”. “We had a blast working on this movie. But it wasn’t all unicorns and cocaine! They had me fighting another man in a burning building nude as though it were ripped from the pages of my childhood,” Reynolds told the audience.
— MTV (@MTV) April 11, 2016
Another highlight was when Will Smith and Melissa McCarthy both received special awards – Smith received the Generation Award, and McCarthy became the first ever female to earn the Comedic Genius Award.
Read on for the full list of winners:
- Movie of the Year: “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”
- MTV Generation Award: Will Smith
- Comedic Genius Award: Melissa McCarthy
- Best Male Performance: Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Revenant”
- Best Female Performance: Charlize Theron, “Mad Max: Fury Road”
- Breakthrough Performance: Daisy Ridley, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”
— MTV News (@MTVNews) April 11, 2016
- Best Kiss: Rebel Wilson & Adam Devine, “Pitch Perfect 2”
- Ensemble Cast: “Pitch Perfect 2”
- Best Comedic Performance: Ryan Reynolds, “Deadpool”
- Best Fight: Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) vs. Ajax (Ed Skrein), “Deadpool”
- Best Hero: Jennifer Lawrence, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay—Part 2”
- Best Villain: Adam Driver, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”
— GIPHY (@GIPHY) April 11, 2016
- Best Virtual Performance: Amy Poehler, “Inside Out”
- Best Action Performance: Chris Pratt, “Jurassic World”
- True Story: Straight Outta Compton
- Documentary: “Amy”
The “2016 MTV Movie Awards” will air on MTV today at 7pm (TH/WIB), 8pm (MY/PH/SG), and on MTV LIVE HD on Tuesday, 12th April at 7pm (TH/WIB) and 8pm (HK/MY/PH/SG).