Helmed by “City Hunter” director Jin Hyuk and written by Park Ji Eun (of “My Love From The Star” fame), the 20-episode drama tells the tale of the centuries-spanning love of the world’s last mermaid and the man who saved her.
In the series, Lee Min Ho plays a genius conman named Heo Jun Jae and hilarity ensues when he crosses paths with Jun Ji Hyun’s mermaid character as she attempts to adjust to life on land.
While other details are still kept under wraps till the premiere of the first episode, here are 7 reasons why you need to watch “The Legend of the Blue Sea”:
1. The first few episodes of the drama were filmed in Barcelona.
2. It marks Lee’s television comeback after 3 years since “The Heirs” (상속자들) in 2013 and it is possibly his last drama before he begins his military service early next year.
3. It is also the first drama for Jun, who gave birth to a baby boy earlier this year in February.
4. Jun’s “My Sassy Girl” co-star Cha Tae Hyun will be making a surprise cameo! Other celebrity cameos also include f(x)’s Krystal.
5. Jun had to act while swimming. Her co-star Sung Dong Il revealed that she was in the water for 4-5 hours, adding, “Even though she’s popular and is paid highly, she didn’t complain”.
6. The drama will feature the couple’s story from the past (Joseon era) to the present time. Lee will also be playing historical figure, Kim Dam Nyeong.
7. We get to see Lee in various roleplaying ensembles (read: pilot suit and cute, nerdy glasses). Enough said.
“The Legend of the Blue Sea” premieres on ONE HD on 17th November and airs every Thursday and Friday at 8:10pm, within 24 hours of its Korean telecast. It is available first and exclusively on ONE HD, Astro Ch. 393.
For more information on the series, hit up ONE TV Asia’s website.