To celebrate Leon Lai’s (黎明) 30th anniversary as a singer, his agency decided to hold concert at Central Harbourfront, Hong Kong. But fans who paid up to HK$2980 (approximately RM1,500) for a ticket had to leave at the eleventh hour as the concert was cancelled 2 hours before showtime.
This is because the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department refused to issue a temporary permit for the concert as the event organisers failed to meet fire safety standards.
Not only did the Canto-pop king upload a video on his Facebook explaining that the fireproof material for the marquee that would house the show did not meet British safety standards, he also appeared in front of the concert venue, apologising to his fans for the inconvenience caused.
But that did not stop disappointed fans from staying at the barricaded entrance. A fan of 30 years who bought tickets for 8 shows said, “Will there be a concert tomorrow? I don’t mind a change of venue or a postponement. I just want to see Leon.”
According to South China Morning Post, the Fire Services Department said inspectors noticed problems with the marquee since last month. It was not up to standard and could catch fire under strong stage lights.
Leon Lai posted a second Facebook video stating that he and the concert organisers will take full responsibility for the cancellation, and that fans shouldn’t blame the safety department.
The veteran singer will be posting an announcement today (29th April) at 4pm whether the concert on Friday night will go on.
For more information, visit the singer’s Facebook page.
Source: South China Morning Post.