Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai confirmed another piece of debris was discovered along the southern coast of South Africa on Tuesday (22nd March).
“Preliminary reports reveled that there is a possibility of the piece originating from an “Inlet Cowling” of an aircraft engine,” he said in a statement.
He also stated that a team will be sent to retrieve the possible piece of debris as further examinations are required in order to verify if it belongs to the missing plane.
Neels Kruger, a South African archaeologist, said that he found the debris while walking along the lagoon, near the town of Mosselbay.
He said that he recognised the “honeycomb” structure from pictures of other pieces of debris and the remains of the Rolls Royce logo. The debris is about 70cm by 70cm (27.56 inches by 27.56 inches) “with chunks gone from the side”.
Earlier this month, 2 pieces of debris were found in Mozambique and Reunion Island, and have been sent to Australia for expert analysis.
Flight MH370 disappeared with 239 passengers and crew on board after taking off from Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing on 8th March 2014.
The Ministry of Transportation will provide updates when new information becomes available.