“I hope we have served you well since our first day of going live on February 25, 2008. And I hope others will continue to serve you in our absence,” said Jahabar Sadiq, editor of The Malaysian Insider.
It finally happened. After 8 years since its inception, the TMI editor said that The Edge Media Group has decided to close down the news portal, citing commercial reasons. The site will no longer be available from midnight onwards.
“We worked as impartial journalists to inform Malaysians and other readers so that they make informed decisions. We worked to make all voices heard in this marketplace of ideas. But our work in The Malaysian Insider has now come to an end in a Malaysia that more than ever requires more clarity, transparency and information,” said Sadiq.
Last month, the widely read news portal was blocked by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) after an article with the headline “Enough proof to charge Najib over SRC, says MACC oversight committee” was published. The article was deemed defamatory and allegedly violated Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act.
Moving forward, Sadiq said, “I want to thank everyone of you in Malaysia, around the world, and those who have been with The Malaysian Insider from day one until now for your support, well wishes and criticism during these fantastic eight years and 18 days of The Malaysian Insider.”
“I won’t put down my pen, I won’t lay down my camera, I won’t shut up and I won’t be blinkered or turn a deaf ear to what goes on in Malaysia and the world. And I urge all of you to do the same,” he added.
Source: The Malaysian Insider.