Hold the Mars and Snickers snacks that are imported from Europe, people.
On Tuesday (23rd February), chocolate giant Mars released a statement to say that the company has ordered a massive recall of Mars and Snickers bars as well as Milky Way Minis. The recall covers millions of products sold in 55 countries, including the UK, Germany, Spain, France, and in certain countries in Asia.
Mars Netherlands also exports to a number of duty-free outlets
The recall follows an 8th January complaint by a customer in Germany who found red plastic in a Snickers bar and sent it back to the company.
According to BBC, the plastic was traced back to the Mars factory in the southern town of Veghel in the Netherlands. A Mars Netherlands spokeswoman said, “We cannot be sure that this plastic was only in that particular Snickers. We do not want any products on the market that may not meet our quality requirements, so we decided to take them all back.”
“With this recall, we would like to prevent consumers who have purchased one of the above-mentioned products from consuming it,” Mars’ statement said.
Products with a best before date from 19th June 2016 to 8th January 2017 have been affected. The products in the UK include Mars, Milky Way, Snickers, and Celebrations in various package sizes:
- 250g bags of Mars Funsize (product code AV39F) with a best before date from 11/09/16 to 02/10/16
- 227g bags of Milky Way Funsize (product code AV39J) with a best before date of 02/10/16
- Variety Funsize – Family Favourites (product code AV33W) with a best before date from 29/05/16 to 14/08/16
- Variety Funsize – Party Mix (product code AV33T) with a best before date from 15/05/16 to 07/08/16
- 388g boxes of Celebrations (product code AJ46N) with a best before date from 08/05/16 to 28/08/16
- 245g boxes of Celebrations (product code AJ46R) with a best before date from 08/05/16 to 28/08/16
- 2.5kg catering cases of Snickers Miniatures (product code YF413) with a best before date of 07/08/16 and 14/08/16
Mars is one of the world’s biggest food companies, with 29 chocolate brands including M&M’s, Galaxy, Twix, Bounty, and Maltesers. Aside from chocolate snacks, Mars also makes Wrigley gum, Uncle Ben’s Rice, Dolmio pasta sauce, and Pedigree pet food.
The recall only involved products manufactured at the Netherlands plant and does not extend to the US, where Mars is based. The company said a full list of affected products could be found on its website.
If you’re unsure, Mars has also issued a step-by-step guide for consumers to better identify the origins of the snacks:
- Is your Mars product a Snickers, Mars, Milky Way, or Celebrations?
- If yes, does your product label say: Mars Netherlands?
- If yes, please contact our Consumer Care Team in your local market.
In Malaysia, Mars’ snacks are distributed by Mars Foods Malaysia Sdn Bhd.
Follow us on Telegram for more updates and breaking news: https://t.me/hypemsia