Earlier last week, all lanes in both directions on the Karak Highway were blocked due to a landslide that was caused by an overflow of a water catchment area.
Malaysian Fire and Rescue Department’s deputy director-general (operations) Datuk Soiman Jahid was quoted as saying that the heavy rain over the last few days had caused the catchment to overflow, picking up sediment and mud which became a landslide.
As a result, motorists travelling between Kuala Lumpur and Kuantan were forced to use altenative routes to reach their desired destinations.
Following a 3-day closure, Bentong OCPD Supt Mansor Mohd Nor has now confirmed that all lanes of the KL-Karak highway are fully reopen for motorists to use.
He said that the stretch of highway near Lentang, which was closed due to the mudslide, was reopened at around 1pm on Sunday.
“On Saturday, we opened one lane in each direction to traffic while work continued to clean the remaining debris,” he said when contacted by The Star Online. “By 1pm today (Sunday) all work was completed and the affected stretch is now fully operational,” he aded.
A total of 4 vehicles were reportedly trapped in the mudslide that happened last Wednesday evening. However, no casualties were reported as all passengers managed to escape from their vehicles.
Source: The Star Online.