Sometimes, after having a long, hard day at work, all you want to do is get out of the stressful spot on the dot to grab some drinks. You don’t have to drink like it’s your birthday, but perhaps enough to get a good sleep.
Of course, you’d have to prepare yourself for the most dreadful question: “Where should we drink?”
It’s always a bit tricky to find a great after-work watering hole because you obviously want to look for a place where you can impress your co-workers or have a good time with them. Not to mention, these places got to have awesome pub grubs too.
As such, we’ve hunted down some of the best drinking spots in Klang Valley so that you can recreate your own legen…wait for it…dary “How I Met Your Mother” moment with your friends or loved ones:
1. The Social @ Bangsar Telawi/Publika/Desa Parkcity
Don’t doubt it. The Social is indeed one of the best places to socialise and have some post-work drinks with your co-workers.
The Social bar was first established 13 years ago (2001) in Bangsar. The dinner crowds can be overwhelming at times because it is one of the most popular places to hold small and big gatherings. All its venues feature rough wooden floors and warm lighting, giving that laid back dive bar atmosphere. Depending on which outlet you’re at, the bar will either have a snooker table or a small stage that could host a live music band.
White collars and city slickers regularly visit this bar not only for its bustling atmosphere, but also for its decent food and drinks served at affordable prices. Fresh draught beers are priced at RM13++ per glass while the signature wines are priced at RM19++ per glass during happy hour. It also has a promotion of RM60 for 3 pints of Tiger beer and RM66 for 3 pints of Kilkenny or Guinness Stout.
The food menu is pretty extensive as well, with food ranging from local cuisines like fried rice and char kuey teow to Western favourites like burgers and pastas. Not to mention, they have pretty good nachos too.
- Address @ Bangsar: No. 57-59, Jalan Telawi 3, Bangsar Baru, 59100 Kuala Lumpur.
- Address @ Publika: Lot 31 & 32, Level G2 The Square, Publika, Solaris Dutamas, Jalan Dutamas 1, 50480 Kuala Lumpur.
- Address @ Desa Parkcity: Lot GF2, The Waterfront @ Parkcity, No. 5, Persiaran Residen, Desa Parkcity 52200, Kuala Lumpur.
- Opening hours: Daily, 12pm – 2am (Happy hour: 12pm – 9pm)
- Tel @ Bangsar: 603-2282 2260
- Tel @ Publika: 603-6207 9225
- Tel @ Desa Parkcity: 603-6279 9225
- Website | Facebook
2. 42 East Restaurant & Bar @ TTDI
Choosing the right bar or pub in Taman Tun Dr Ismail (TTDI) is a tricky task, unless you’ve stayed there long enough to know the best places to drink and socialise. Of course, one can choose to do bar-hopping/pub-hopping to find out.
However, when you’re at E42T, you definitely won’t be able to beat its post-work crowds. The bar is an independent establishment that is well-known among the corporate crowds. If you must know, the pub is named in such a way because the shop is facing east and the number is 42.
The go-to drink is the frozen margarita. Priced at RM24, one goblet of the frozen margarita can be served in a tray of 12 shots. In fact, it is priced at only RM18 during happy hour. Similar to The Social, this bar has a promotion of RM66 nett for 3 pints of Guinness too. The prices of the cocktails also start at a mere RM18 and they have an amazing deal for ladies every Wednesday night.
- Address: 42, Lorong Rahim Kajai 14, TTDI, Kuala Lumpur 60000.
- Opening hours: Sun – Thurs, 4pm – 1am; Fri – Sat, eve of public holidays, 4pm – 2am
- Tel: 603-7725 5688
3. Tom, Dick & Harry’s @ TTDI/The Scott Garden/Pavilion/Oasis Square
Tom, Dick, Harry’s (TDH) lives by a pretty carefree motto: “Mou Man Tai” (translation: “No Problem”). Not only did the “Mou Man Tai” tagline strengthen the brand’s identity, it also became an attitude where everything is doable. Many would think of TDH when they come across this phrase too.
With warm decor and friendly service, TDH is guaranteed to make you leave your worries behind while you enjoy your night out. This wallet-friendly dive bar at TTDI has another 3 outlets, with 2 of them consisting of a small stage for live bands and stand-up comedians to perform. This makes TDH a great place to be because drinks, food, and live music are all served under one roof.
Speaking of food, TDH serves pretty decent pub grubs such as their porky fries and nachos, and it’s best to pair them with a beer or a stout. Not a huge fan of stout and beer? You’ve got to try their signature cocktails like Dick’s Margarita and Harry’s Fling then.
- Address @ TTDI: 18, Lorong Rahim Kajai 14, Kuala Lumpur 60000.
- Address @ Pavilion: Lot C3.10.04, Level 3, Jalan Raja Chulan, Kuala Lumpur.
- Address @ The Scott Garden: Unit S-G-03A, The Scott Garden, Kompleks Rimbun Scott, 289, Jalan Klang Lama 58100 Kuala Lumpur.
- Address @ Oasis Square: Oasis Square, 2, Jalan PJU 1A/7A, Ara Damansara, Petaling Jaya 47301.
- Opening hours @ TTDI: Mon – Thu, 4pm – 1am; Fri, 4pm – 2am; Sat, 10am – 2pm; Sun, 10am – 1am
- Opening hours @ Pavilion: Mon – Sun, 8am – 2am
- Opening hours @ The Scott Garden: Mon – Fri, 4pm – 2am; Sat – Sun, 10am – 2am
- Opening hours @ Oasis Square: Daily, 4:30pm – 2am
- Tel @ TTDI: 603-7729 5678
- Tel @ Pavilion: 603-2148 0122
- Tel @ The Scott Garden: 603-7987 3000
- Tel @ Oasis Square: 601 9697 5080
4. La Bodega @ Bangsar Telawi/BSC/Pavilion
Perfectly drawing the line between a fine dining restaurant and fancy watering hole, La Bodega Tapas Bar is a top contender for the best nightspot in town.
Established since 1999, La Bodega has a consistently good service with a wide selection of drinks. It has always been a popular venue for patrons to gather and socialise with their best buddies or meet new friends. Tapas and paella are served warm and they make a perfect meal with the signature drinks, including its refreshing sangria, fine Spanish wines, and excellent cocktails.
Of course, you can also opt for the daily deal that starts from 12pm to 8pm. Carlsberg, Connor’s Original Stout, and Kronenbourg 1664, and Blanc are priced at RM15nett per pint while it’s RM20nett per pint for mugs of Stella Artois, Asahi, Hoegaarden, Erdinger Weissbeir, and Erdinger Dunkel.
- Address @ Bangsar Telawi: 16, Jalan Telawi 2, Kuala Lumpur 59100.
- Address @ BSC: G109, Ground Floor, Bangsar Shopping Centre, 285 Jalan Maarof, 59000 Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur.
- Address @ Pavillion: Lot C3.06.00 Level 3, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur, 168 Jalan Bukit Bintang 55100 Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur.
- Address @ Empire Subang: LG25, Lower Ground, Empire Shopping Gallery, Jalan SS16/1 SS 16, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor.
- Opening hours @ Bangsar Telawi: Mon – Fri, 12pm – 1am; Weekends or public holidays, 10am – 1am
- Opening hours @ BSC: Mon – Sun, 8am – 1am
- Opening hours @ Pavilion: Mon – Sun, 8am – 2am
- Opening hours @ Empire Subang: Mon – Sun, 8am – 2am
- Tel @ Bangsar Telawi: 603 2287 8318
- Tel @ BSC: 603-2287 2768
- Tel @ Pavilion: 603-2148 8018
- Tel @ Empire Subang: 603-5634 8388
- Website | Facebook
5. Nagaba @ Changkat Bukit Bintang
The first thing you might notice before entering Nagaba is its beautiful side mural of Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Queen of Elizabeth, and many other well-known figures. The second will probably be its rooftop bar, which can often get crowded.
As one of the best contemporary bars in the KL city, Nagaba is laid out more like a premium multi-space venue than a regular watering hole. The ground floor is a wonderful air-conditioned wine lounge while on the first floor, you have a spacious dance floor where EDM series Ohrwurm holds its house music nights every Friday night, featuring a series of talented acts.
The 3-storey bar has a rooftop bar known as the Mojito Rooftop Bar, which is a cool and laidback space with alfresco setting. The bar has an extensive array of choices for Mojitos, all of which are priced between RM30 to RM35. Moonlight Movies will be held at this bar every Wednesday, where they will show some of the most popular movies helmed by renowned directors such as Luc Besson and Danny Boyle.
- Address: 31, Jalan Mesui, Kuala Lumpur 50200.
- Opening hours: Daily, 4pm – 3am
- Tel: 603-2141 0858
6. Backyard Pub & Grill @ Hartamas/Damansara Perdana
Backyard Pub & Grill has been around for almost 26 years and there’s a reason why it still stands tall after existing for more than a decade.
Similar to Tom, Dick & Harry’s outlet in Pavilion, Backyard has good music, food, and drinks all served under one roof. Don’t doubt the service here because owner and staff are consistently warm and friendly to their patrons. This is why it can easily get crowded even on a weeknight, with most patrons being the regulars or white collars who come here to unwind while listening to the fantastic live music.
Our favourite thing about Backyard is that drinks are served at a reasonable price. House wines are priced at only RM18.90 per glass and there’s always a happy hour price tag on the beers. There’s a vast selection of fine whiskies too, with Glemorangie whiskies and Japanese single malt whisky Nikka being the surprisingly great additions.
- Address @ Hartamas: 26, 28 & 30, Jalan Sri Hartamas 8, Taman Sri Hartamas, Kuala Lumpur 50490.
- Address @ Damansara Perdana: W101, Metropolitan Square,. Damansara Perdana, Petaling Jaya.
- Opening hours @ Hartamas: Daily, 4pm – 1:30am
- Tel @ Hartamas: 603-6201 0318
No longer “Work In Progress”, WIP is now “Whipped Into Place” with high service standards.
Located at the disintinguished Bangsar Shopping Centre, WIP has made itself one of KL’s best-kept secrets. With a coastal resort ambience, this place exudes a refreshingly unpretentious ambience for an exceptionally relaxing experience.
There’s a hearty selection of Western, Asian, and Northern Indian cuisine at WIP, but simple dishes like fish and chips never fail to please. True to its name, WIP will get you “whipped into place” with its dangerously long list of mojitos on the menu. When it comes to appreciating drinks, this place shows that KL has come a long way with its innovative cocktails, premium champagnes, wines, and spirits.
- Address: Ground Floor, Bangsar Shopping Centre, 285 Jalan Maarof, Bukit Bandaraya, 59000 Kuala Lumpur.
- Opening hours: Daily, 12noon – 1am
- Tel: 603-2094 1789/2789
- Website | Facebook
- Waikiki Bar
- Online Pub
- Healy’s Mac
- SOULed Out
- Sid’s Pub
- Bulldog English Pub & Restaurant
- D’Legends Bar
- The Whisky Bar
- Brotzeit German Bier Bar & Restaurant
And with that, we conclude our list of pubs that will make you feel like you’re part of the “How I Met Your Mother” gang ;)
If you’ve got some equally good suggestions, do leave a comment in the box below. Don’t forget to go bar-hopping at these speakeasy bars too!
Follow us on Telegram for more updates and breaking news: https://t.me/hypemsia