The first episode of a new K-Drama (Korean Drama), “The Privileged” recently aired on ONE HD, which tells the tale of After School UEE’s journey on finding true love while hiding her “chaebol” (wealthy or family owned conglomeration) identity.
The K-Drama boasts a colourful ensemble of young Korean stars, including After School’s UEE, Sung Joon (of “Hyde, Jekyll, Me” fame), K-Pop idol boy group ZE:A member Park Hyungsik (of “The Inheritors”/”The Heirs” fame), Lim Ji-yeon, Yoon Ji-hye, and more.
The plot is as follows:
The drama follows Jang Yoon-ha (played by UEE), the daughter of a rich family as she tries to hide her status in society. Even though her family is extremely wealthy, she holds a part-time job at a supermarket. Her dream? To find a man who loves her for who she is. But instead, she meets a man who thinks love is just a tool that allows the rich to emotionally manipulate others – Choi Joon-ki.
Choi Joon-ki (played by Sung Joon), on the other hand, grew up in extreme poverty and has a huge chip on his shoulder about his poor parents being belittled. Now working as a middle manager for a conglomerate, Joon-ki is smart and talented but also jaded and calculating. He doesn’t waste his time with anything that won’t help him get ahead and believes that love is a luxury only for the wealthy.
Then, there’s Yoo Chang-soo (played by Park Hyung Sik), an heir to the shopping mall company where the supermarket located. Yoon-ha is indifferent to Chang-soo, sparking his interest in the seemingly humble shop clerk.
However, there were some things that general audiences like us didn’t know about “The Privileged”. It has been said that the K-Drama hit many-a-speedbump during its early production days and had quite a rocky start.
For example, did you know that it went through several title changes before settling with its final one? Yup!
More little known facts about the drama below:
- The naming process for K-Drama wasn’t an arduous one. Before it was officially called “The Privileged”, the series’ early working titles included “Chaebol’s Daughter”, “True Romance”, and “High Society”. Whoa. What’s in a name, indeed!
- Screenwriter Ha Myung-hee and director Choi Young-hoon worked on 2013’s “One Warm Word” together previously. Rumour has it that they were originally looking to cast Park Seo Joon and Han Groo, which would reunite them after playing a romantic couple in “One Warm Word”.
- In April, the team approached 28-year-old multiple award-winning actress Moon Geun Young for the role of Jang Yoon-ha. She was apparently considering it but turned it down in the end. In the same day, it was also reported that Park Seo Joon decided against taking up his role – a double whammy which brought the team back to square one.
- In May, one month before the K-Drama was supposed to air, it was confirmed that “The Privileged” has finally nailed down its lead roles – UEE, up-and-coming actress Lim Ji-yeon, Sung Joon, and Park Hyungsik.
- It was said that during the script reading (which took all of 3 hours), Park Hyungsik and Lim Ji-yeon perfectly portrayed their sometimes comical and sometimes sweet relationship. Aww 🙂
- “The Privileged” marks K-Pop idol boy group ZE:A member Park Hyungsik’s first lead role in a drama. Previously, he had smaller roles in 2013’s “The Heirs” aka “The Inheritors”, as well as 2014’s “What’s With This Family”.
BONUS: During the press conference, Sung Joon was asked about how UEE stands out among his previous co-stars (which include actresses Han Ji Min, Kim So Yeon, and Jung Yoo Mi). To which he answered, “She has the best body.” 😉
Watch the teaser trailer here:
“The Privileged” airs every Tuesday and Wednesday at 8:55pm, first and exclusively on ONE (Astro B. yond Ch 393).