“Orange Marmalade” (오렌지 마말레이드) is a 2015 South Korean TV series based on the webtoon of the same name which was serialised on Naver from 2011 to 2013.
Starring multiple award-winning actor Yeo Jin-goo (who plays Jung Jae-min), idol Kim Seolhyun (who plays Baek Ma-ri), and Lee Jong-hyun (who plays Han Si-hoo), the series airs on KBS2 with back-to-back episodes every Friday at beginning 15th May 2015.
“Orange Marmalade” is set in a fantasy world where humans and vampires coexist, the latter have evolved and no longer rely on human blood as food. Still, they are feared and discriminated against by society, causing many of them to hide their true nature and live as “normal” citizens, or else become outcasts.
Baek Ma-ri is a socially withdrawn teenage girl hiding her vampire identity. Driven away from several neighborhoods, she is eager to settle down in her new city and live quietly. But things change when she accidentally bites the neck of Jung Jae-min, the most popular boy at her high school.
Sounds like something of the “star-crossed lovers” type of teen romance K-Drama that you should be watching? No?
Let us convince you further 😉
Here are some fun facts about the show:
- The series is based on webcomic of the same name, “Orange Marmalade” by Seok Woo, which was published from 5th February 2011 to 4th January 2014 here.
- Lead girl Kim Seolhyun (who plays Baek Ma-ri) is an idol singer, best known as a member of the South Korean girl group AOA under FNC Entertainment.
- Lead guy Lee Jong-hyun (who plays Han Si-hoo) is a musician, singer-songwriter, as well as the lead guitarist and vocalist of South Korean rock band CNBLUE.
- This is not the first time Kim Seolhyun will be acting alongside a CNBLUE member as she was previously casted together with CNBLUE’s Kang Min-hyuk in a KBS variety show, “Brave Family”. The program aired in January 2015 for 10 episodes.
- The first script reading took place 13th March 2015 at the KBS Annex Building in Yeouido, Seoul and filming for “Orange Marmalade” began immediately on the next day, 14th March 2015.
- It was said that Jin-goo, Seolhyun, and Jong-hyun showed great chemistry during the first script reading, and hat’s because they reportedly met before the script reading to get to know each other better. Aww!
- At the “Orange Marmalade” press conference, Seolhyun reportedly said that she has been watching Jin-goo since he was a child actor and that he is her ideal type while Jin-goo said that he was very surprised when he first saw Seolhyun act.
- “Orange Marmalade” marks a comeback for Jong-hyun as an actor in a TV series as his last known appearance was a cameo in the 2014 web drama, “One Sunny Day”. Also, in order to meet everyone’s high expectations for the show, he studied acting to prepare for his role.
- A couple of South Korean artistes have been enlisted to sing for the OST such as Fly to the Sky’s Hwanhee, Starship Entertainment’s upcoming boy group MONSTA X, as well as 15&’s Park Ji Min.
- While it sounds like it’s the average Korean teen drama, “Orange Marmalade” also holds a message about the prejudice towards weaker people in society.
Watch the subbed extended trailer here: