The coronation of Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar as the state’s 5th Sultan in the history of Modern Johor is set to be held at Istana Besar Johor on 23rd March, which has been declared a public holiday in Johor. In conjunction with the coronation ceremony, a series of programmes such as concerts and musical theatres will be staged from 23rd March – 30th March in the Johor district.
According to BERNAMA, the week-long celebration of Johor Sultan’s coronation consists of a decorated boat parade, a cultural performance, firework shows, sports carnival, tea parties in the city, and so on. Though the celebration will officially begin on 23rd March, Head of the Johor Royal Council Datuk Abdul Rahim Ramli said “at least 9 different but related events” will be held from 16th March onwards and “the celebration is expected to go on for 3 months”.
Abdul Rahim said this year’s coronation ceremony would be as special as the previous ceremony that was held 55 years ago (10th February 1960). He added that the combination of Islamic, Malay and Western culture and rituals would be exclusive and based on previous coronation rituals to preserve and enrich the Johor royal traditions. Commemorative stamps in denominations of 60 sen, 80 sen and RM1 and first day covers will be on sale at the post offices from 23rd March while commemorative gold medallions will be available from Bank Negara from the same date.
Johor Heritage Foundation (YWJ) director, Mohamad Radif Kosnin announced that the celebration would kick off with a cultural performance at the Johor Baharu City Square on 23rd March from 8:30pm to 10.:30pm. Artistes from YWJ, Soka Gakkai Malaysia, Temple of Fine Arts, and Johor-born artistes are expected to perform for the show that focuses on the culture of various races in the state. The celebration is followed by a pop and jazz music performance on 24th March and the “60s Rhythm Night” on 25th March.
In collaboration with Iskandar Waterfront Holdings Sdn Bhd (IWH), State Tourism, Trade and Consumerism Committee chairman Datuk Tee Siew Kiong said the Johor Tourism Department will organise a 4-day open-air concerts at Danga Bay beginning 26th March. Tee said that 50,000 people are expected to attend the music festival that would feature both international and local artistes including Taboo of Black Eyed Peas, SISTAR, T-Ara, Fuying & Sam, Rossa, Sheila Majid, Jacklyn Victor, Shila Amzah, Penny Tai, Alley Cats, and many more.
The festival will be held for 4 consecutive nights from 26th to 29th March beginning at 8:30 pm. Chinese newspaper Kwongwah stated that SISTAR is expected to perform on 26th March alongside Rossa. T-Ara will perform on 29th March alongside Shila Amzah and BEP’s Taboo. The members of the public need not to worry about the parking problem as Tee said that the organisers have provided enough parking space along the waterfront.
The list of programmes is as follows:
- Decorated boat parade (23rd – 30th March / 8:30pm / Danga Bay)
- Firework shows (23rd – 30th March and 4th April / 8:30pm / Danga Bay)
- The Coronation Tour – A 400-kilometre cycling championship (Unknown)
- Cultural performance (23rd March / 8.30pm to 10.30pm / Johor Baharu City Square)
- Pop and jazz music performance ft. the MBJB orchestra, Johor Baharu Tengah Municipal Council (MPJBT) orchestra, the Classmate band, a 7-string ensemble and several artistes from Johor (24th March / 8:30pm – 10:30pm)
- 60s Rhythm Night’ ft. YWJ musicians, artistes from the Johor Culture and Arts Department, Nirwana band and some local musicians (25th March / 8:30pm – 10:30pm)
- Free open air concert (26th – 29th March / 8:30pm – 10:30pm / Danga Bay)
- Sports carnival – Beach volleyball, beach football, beach netball (26th – 29th March / Danga Bay)
- Musical performance ft. Islamic art, “Cahaya Jauhar” (27th March / MBJB City Square)
- Coronation concert themed “Raja dan Rakyat Berpisah Tiada” (28th March / MBJB City Square)
- Tea party for Johor Bahru district (28th March / Gelang Patah football field)
- Musical theatre titled “Wira Samudera” (18th – 20th April /Pasir Gudang Indoor Stadium)
No further details about the coronation ceremony were announced yet, but members of the public are invited to attend all the events. Stay tuned to our site for more event updates.
UPDATE (19th March, 3:36PM):
We hate to break this to you, but several international artistes will not be performing at the royal concert co-organised by the Johor Tourism Department and the Iskandar Waterfront Holdings Sdn Bhd.
According to the New Straits Times, The Sultan of Johor Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar has ordered BEP’s Taboo, SISTAR, and Fuying & Sam to be dropped from performing for his coronation ceremony celebrations. Johor religious council executive committee chairman Abdul Mutalib Abdul Rahman confirmed to NST that Sultan Ibrahim made his decision after taking into consideration of the public’s sensitivities with regards to the coronation ceremony.
It is unclear whether T-Ara is still included in the performers lineup, but Indonesian singer Datuk Rossa is currently the only international artiste to perform at the royal concert. She is slated to perform on 26th March alongside other local musicians including Sheila Majid, Jacklyn Victor, Penny Tai, and Shila Amzah.
UPDATE (26th March, 5:36PM):
Good news, everyone!
Although earlier reports have indicated that Sultan Iskandar has requested several artistes to be dropped from the 4-day music festival, The Rakyat Post confirmed that they are still coming to Johor to perform at the Iskandar Waterfront Carnival.
More than 50,000 people are expected to show up at Danga Bay every night from Thursday (26th March) for the 4-day free concerts, which are held in conjuction with the coronation of the Sultan of Johor.
The concert schedule is as follows:
- 26th March (Thursday): Nicole Tai, Rossa, SISTAR
- 27th March (Friday): Geraldine Gan, Jacklyn Victor, Sheila Majid, Penny Tai
- 28th March (Sunday): Crystal Lee, Fuying & Sam, Alleycats and Faizal Tahir
- 29th March (Sunday): Shila Amzah, T-Ara, Havana Brown, and Taboo
SISTAR is reportedly in Malaysia right now for the rehearsals of the concert tonight.
Sistar rehearsal @ Danga bay pic.twitter.com/lbzFjKwu38
— Three Angles (@Threeanglespro) March 26, 2015
For more information, visit Iskandar Waterfront’s official website.
Follow us on Telegram for more updates and breaking news: https://t.me/hypemsia