In case you haven’t heard, Angelina Jolie has tried a hand at helming a war film and apparently, she has done quite well, we hear! In fact, according to TIME, Universal Pictures expects the movie to gross approximately USD17 million to USD19 million at the box office by the end of the Christmas weekend.
“Unbroken” is a 2014 American war drama film, produced and directed by Angelina Jolie, and based on the 2010 non-fiction book by Laura Hillenbrand, “Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption”. The film revolves around the life of USA Olympian and athlete Louis “Louie” Zamperini, portrayed by Jack O’Connell.
As a boy, Louis “Louie” Zamperini is always in trouble, but with the help of his older brother, he turns his life around and channels his energy into running, later qualifying for the 1936 Olympics. When World War II breaks out, Louie enlists in the military. After his plane crashes in the Pacific, he survives an incredible 47 days adrift in a raft, until his capture by the Japanese navy. Sent to a POW (prisoner of war) camp, Louie becomes the favourite target of a particularly cruel prison commander. And “Unbroken” is his true story.
See the pictures from the production of “Unbroken” here:
The cast is as follows:
- Jack O’Connell as Louis “Louie” Zamperini
- C.J. Valleroy as young Louis Zamperini
- Domhnall Gleeson as Russell “Phil” Phillips
- Miyavi as Mutsuhiro “The Bird” Watanabe
- Garrett Hedlund as John Fitzgerald
- Finn Wittrock as Francis “Mac” McNamara
- Jai Courtney as Hugh “Cup” Cuppernell
- Luke Treadaway as Miller
- Travis Jeffery as Jimmy
- Jordan Patrick Smith as Cliff
- John Magaro as Frank A. Tinker
- Alex Russell as Pete Zamperini
- Maddalena Ischiale as Louise Zamperini
- Morgan Griffin as Cynthia Applewhite
- Savannah Lamble as Sylvia Zamperini
- Sophie Dalah as Virginia Zamperini
Whether you’re a fan of Angelina Jolie or not, “Unbroken” is not a film that you’d want to pass up on. No siree!
Watch the trailer here:
“Unbroken” will be released in a cinema near you on 5th February 2015.
For more information, visit the movie’s official website.