Can he retain his No. 1 spot?
(Featured image via Hardwell on Facebook)
Robbert van de Corput, more commonly known as Hardwell first gained recognition in 2009 for his bootleg of “Show Me Love vs. Be”. At the age of 25, the Dutch progressive and electro house DJ has capped off a 10-year journey by becoming the World’s No. 1 DJ in the 2013 DJ Mag Top 100 DJs Poll, cementing his position as the youngest DJ to win the coveted Top 100 DJs award.
Like his mentor Tiësto, Hardwell hails from Breda, a city deep within the Netherlands. Apart from also being the owner of Revealed Recordings, Hardwell has landed 6 consecutive #1s on Beatport and his records such as “Spaceman”, “Three Triangles (Losing My Religion)”, “Countdown”, “Jumper”, and “Apollo” as well as his collaboration with Dyro and Bright Lights, “Never Say Goodbye” were some of the most played tracks in the summer of 2013.
With his energetic, big room sound that features progressive and electro, which he calls “Hardwell Music”, he is known for rocking his live sets at major music festivals such as Tomorrowland and Ultra Music Festival.
Throughout his career, Hardwell has released 5 compilation albums through his label and has stated that his debut album is set to be released sometime in 2014.
Currently in the midst of his “I Am Hardwell” tour as well as his campaign for DJ Mag Top 100 Poll 2014, here are some things you might want to know about the current World No. 1 DJ:
- Not a fan of extreme sports, Hardwell went skydiving to fulfil a DJ Mag bet that he made with his friends.
- He started producing his own sounds at the age of 12 and began spinning in clubs at the age of 14. He also had to take his parents into clubs with him till he was 18 as he was too young to enter clubs alone.
- His all-time favourite producers are Dr. Dre, Swedish House Mafia, and Skrillex.
- Tracks that really inspired him to start producing includes Ferry Corsten‘s “Out Of The Blue”, Tiësto’s “Flight 643”, and Marco V’s “Stimulated”.
- He once said that he would love to collaborate with Drake. *We can only hope that he does!*
- The name Hardwell was coined by his father and he started using it at the age of 12.
- He ghost produced a track that made it into Beatport’s Top 10.
If Hardwell is your favourite DJ and if you would like to him to remain as the World’s No. 1 DJ, vote here.
Have a fantastic weekend everyone!
We’ll leave you now with one of our favourite Hardwell tracks: