TS Entertainment documented the forming of South Korean K-Pop idol girl group SECRET in 2009. The group, consisting of members Jeon Hyosung, Jung Hana aka Zinger, Song Jieun, and Han Sunhwa, were introduced via a documentary named, “Secret Story” which was aired on Mnet. “Secret Story” documented everything form the debut process of the members and afterwards, Mnet aired their invitation-only debut showcase, which took place on 29th September 2009. A few weeks later, SECRET released their first ever music video for their first single, “I Want You Back”.
The following year, SECRET released not one, but two mini albums entitled “Secret Time” and “Madonna”. The music video for “Magic” (the title track off “Secret Time”) quickly reached one million views on video sharing sites such as YouTube and Cyworld shortly after it was released. “Madonna” (the title track off “Madonna”), on the other hand, topped every major online music chart within two weeks of its released and peaked at #1 on the Gaon Chart. It also went on to win the “Main Award” at the 20th Seoul Music Awards. That very same year, SECRET attended the 25th Golden Disk Awards where they took home the “Newcomer Award”. In 2012, SECRET attended the 26th Golden Disk Awards and walked away with the “Digital Bonsang” award.
After that, SECRET spent a lot of time promoting their group and their music in Japan. Hence, in August 2012, TS Entertainment announced that after nearly a year absence from the music industry, SECRET was ready to make a comeback. The girls’ comeback was said to involve an upbeat dance track and a whole new concept for the group.
In September 2012, a music video teaser for “Poison” featuring an old Hollywood-styled concept was released. According to their stylist, SECRET was going with a concept based off the 1940s British “lady look” and “espionage” look. Based on the response that they received from the music video, it’s safe to say that K-Pop fans absolutely loved the image change:
[youtube id=”TP56DuUpKBE” width=”600″ height=”350″]
They are also currently in the running to bag the “Song of The Year” award for “Poison” at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur”!
Other facts about SECRET as follows:
- SECRET is well known for their image transition from cute/girl-next-door to smokin’ hot and sexy back (2009 to 2010).
- The group originally debuted as a R&B/hip hop group but over the years, their main musical style has become more retro than anything else.
- Leader of the group, Hyosung was the winner of audition program titled, “Battle Shinhwa“.
- When asked about the main subject of the majority of their songs, the group said that it’s mostly love. However, SECRET has recorded songs about female empowerment and self-confidence.
- They are the third Korean girl group to debut in the top ten on the Oricon charts, with Kara and SNSD Girls’ Generation being the first and second groups respectively.
- Zinger often says that her stage name was inspired by Pussycat Doll’s Nicole Scherzinger. Zinger’s most outstanding talent is rapping.
- On 11th December, the girls were involved in a serious car accident that left Zinger with broken ribs and a bruised lung, halting all of SECRET’s activities and promotions until end December.
Here’s another fact: SECRET is slated to make an appearance at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur” (GDA).
To purchase tickets, hit up TicketPro or any of their participating outlets right now! Tickets to the event are available in three tiers, priced at RM999 (Samsung GALAXY Zone), RM688 (Rockpit), and RM199 (Hallyu Zone). We hear that tickets are going to go fast so hurry!
For more information, visit their official website.