AXE is going where only few have gone before: a trip to space. Together with the AXE Apollo body spray, the AXE Apollo Space Academy (A.A.S.A) will be recruiting cadets who have always dreamed of what was beyond earth, for this epic journey. The AXE Apollo Space Academy was created by AXE and space legend, Buzz Aldrin.
First things first, who is Buzz Aldrin?:
- Buzz Aldrin was, in fact, born Edwin Eugene Aldrin Jr. on 30th January 1930. He earned his nickname, “Buzz” because his little sister mispronounced the word “brother” as “buzzer”. It was later shortened to “Buzz”.
- Buzz Aldrin later made it his legal first name in 1988.
- His father was a Colonel in the US Air Force, which encouraged his interest in flight. Buzz officially entered the US Air Force in 1951.
- Buzz Aldrin became a fighter pilot and flew F-86 Sabre Jets during the Korean war. His wing was responsible for breaking the enemy “kills” record during combat. Buzz shot down to enemy MiGs and was decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross for his service during the war.
- After the cease-fire was declared between North and South Korea in 1953, Buzz returned home and went to Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He earned a Ph.D. in aeronautics and astronautics.
- In 1963, Buzz Aldrin was part of a third group of men selected by NASA to attempt to pioneer space flight. He was put in charge of creating docking and rendezvous techniques for spacecraft.
- Along with flight commander Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin made the historic Apollo 11 moonwalk. In 1969, Neil and Buzz became the first two human to set foot on another planet – they spent a total of 21 hours on the moon’s surface and returned with 46 pounds of moon rocks
- The moonwalk, which was televised, drew an estimated 600 million people to watch, becoming the world’s largest television audience in history.
- When Apollo 11 returned, Buzz was decorated with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Buzz and his Apollo 11 crew also have four stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in California.
- In January 2013, Buzz Aldrin announced the creation of the AXE Apollo Space Academy:
[youtube id=”x7gu8WVQNOQ” width=”600″ height=”350″]
For more information, visit their official website.