The year this South Korean idol group formed, they swept several notable “newcomers” awards e.g. Cyworld Digital Music Awards’ “Rookie of the Month” in 2008, MNet 20’s Choice Awards’ “Hot New Star” in 2008, and 5th Asia Song Festival’s award for “Best New Artist”. By the end of 2008, they snagged the 10th Mnet Asian Music Awards’ “Best New Male Group” and the 23rd Golden Disk Awards’ “YEPP Newcomer Album” titles.
By the time the initial introduction and debut of SHINee was done, there wasn’t a single person who didn’t know that they existed. So it was safe to say that the SHINee boys made lasting impressions from the very beginning of their careers.
Consisting of members Onew, Jonghyun, Key, Minho, and Taemin, they first made their debut on 25th May 2008 when they performed their single, “Replay” on SBS’ Inkigayo. Their mini-album of the same name sold 17,957 copies in the first half of 2008. In August 2008, SHINee released their first full-length album, “The Shinee World” and that went on to sell 30,000 copies. All in all, they’ve released three full-length albums, four mini albums, one live album, and various singles, on top of holding a concert tour and starring in their own reality TV shows.
In early 2012, it was revealed that SHINee was going to release their fourth mini album, “Sherlock”. The title song, “Sherlock (Clue + Note)” was choreographed by Tony Testa, the world famous choreographer who worked with Kylie Minogue and Janet Jackson. Needless to say, the title song peaked at #1 on various music charts, including global ones e.g. in the US, Canada, UK and France:
[youtube id=”8kyG5tTZ1iE” width=”600″ height=”350″]
On 30th November 2012, SHINee bagged yet another award for “Best Dance Performance – Male Group” for “Sherlock (Cute + Note)” at the 2012 Mnet Asian Music Awards in Hong Kong. And it seems like there’s no stopping the boys because they are currently in the running to bag the “Disk Album Of the Year” award for “Sherlock” at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur”!
Other facts about SHINee as follows:
- SHINee’s “maknae”, Taemin started dancing since he was in 3rd grade. When he heard that SM Entertainment was holding casting, he immediately auditioned.
- Onew, leader of the idol group once mentioned that he’s allergic to cucumbers, watermelons, and just melons in general.
- Although Onew is the leader, his members confessed that he zones out incredibly often and continuously embarrasses himself by doing silly things.
- Prior to joining SHINee, Minho was a model of “Seoul Collection” from Ha Sang Baek. He was also the guy in SNSD Girls’ Generation’s “Gee” MV.
- Key initially auditioned for SM Entertainment in 2005 but he didn’t get it. Refusing to give up, he auditioned again in 2006. And the rest is history.
- Key admitted that he went through a “Belieber” phase, where there was a point in time that he just kept listening to Justin Bieber’s songs.
- Jonghyun takes the important of his health very seriously. He makes it a point to eat right and wouldn’t touch even instant noodles no matter how hungry he is.
Here’s another fact: SHINee is slated to make an appearance at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur” (GDA).
To purchase tickets, hit up TicketPro or any of their participating outlets right now! Tickets are priced at RM999 (Samsung GALAXY Zone) and RM688 (Rockpit). We hear that tickets are going to go fast so hurry!
For more information, visit their official website.