Born Lee Ha Yi in 1996, Lee Hi is YG Entertainment’s latest “baby K-Pop idol”. She was initially one of the finalists of Survival K-Pop Star (a reality TV singing competition) but was scouted and signed to the company after capturing the attention of YG’s CEO, Yang Hyun-syuk.
At only 16 years old, Lee Hi is still a student and is currently studying in the School of Performing Arts in Seoul. At only 16 years old, she is perhaps the only K-Pop artiste to have trained for such a short amount of time before launching a solo career. At only 16 years old, Lee Hi sounds like a cross between being the younger version of Duffy or Adele. Who can believe that she’s only 16 years old?
She was first introduced to the world in Epik High’s first song after their long hiatus, “It’s Cold”. That small feature was big enough to spark K-Pop fans’ curiosities.
The time frame in which Lee Hi had to prepare for her debut after K-Pop star wrapped was only half a year but her debut single, “1, 2, 3, 4” achieved an “all-kill” on the charts the moment it was released. Lee Hi released her second single, “Scarecrow”, in November 2012. But the one true testament to her instant success was still “1, 2, 3, 4”. The song not only reached #1 on all the main music charts, it also sat pretty on top of the charts for five consecutive days. Pretty mind-blowing coming from a rookie singer!:
[youtube id=”C-1llWrXI28″ width=”600″ height=”350″]
On top of that, Lee Hi is also currently in the running to bag the “New Rising K-Pop Star Award” at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur”!
Other facts about Lee Hi as follows:
- While preparation time for Lee Hi’s debut was short, she was one of the rare few trainees that received on-on-one supervision from Yang Hyun-syuk in the process.
- She’s also one of the rare few YG Entertainment trainees that has had no dance training whatsoever. Hence, she’s a pretty clumsy dancer in comparison.
- Lee Hi once said that her “ideal guy” is labelmate and senior Choi Seung-hyun aka T.O.P from BIGBANG.
- The music video for “1, 2, 3, 4” looked simple but apparently, it cost 2.5 times more to produce than other YG Entertainment artiste’s music videos.
- Her second single, “Scarecrow”, was in fact not a new song. It was written five years ago and it was supposed to be Park Bom’s (of 2NE1) solo debut song.
- Although she has started out as a solo artiste, Lee Hi is expected to debut as a member of forthcoming YG Entertainment girl group, “SuPearls” in the future.
- To celebrate Lee Hi’s debut, super big balloons in the shape of “1, 2, 3, 4” were tied to the roof of the YG Entertainment HQ in South Korea.
Here’s another fact: Lee Hi is slated to make an appearance at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur” (GDA).
To purchase tickets, hit up TicketPro or any of their participating outlets right now! Tickets are priced at RM999 (Samsung GALAXY Zone) and RM688 (Rockpit). We hear that tickets are going to go fast so hurry!
For more information, visit their official website.