South Korean girl group T-ara aka T♕A R A was training for three whole years prior to their debut in 2009. Formed by Mnet Media (entertainment power house), T-ara is based on the word, “tiara”, which signifies the “queens of the music industry”.
The girls’ first album, “Absolute First Album” was released in 2009. Because of the extremely high level of anticipation for T-ara’s debut, “Absolute First Album” immediately went on to spawn several hit songs including, “Geojitmal (Lies)”, “TTL Listen 2”, “Bo Peep Bo Peep”, “Cheoeum Cheoreom (Like The First Time)”, and “Neo Ttaemenu Michyeo (I Go Crazy Because Of You)”. That very same year, the T-ara girls bagged the “Rookie of the Year” awards at the 24th Golden Disk Awards.
Their next album, “Black Eyes”, which was released in 2011, spawned more #1 songs, one of which is “Lovey-Dovey”.
Following that, it was announced that T-ara would be advancing into the Japanese market. Promotions for that venture included a remake of their 2009, “Bo Beep Bo Beep” in Japanese and a three-day mini concert tour in Tokyo, Nagoya, and Osaka. Needless to say, T-ara rose to become the second biggest girl group in Korea in 2011 (according to the Gallup Korea poll).
In January 2012, the group re-released “Black Eyes” under the album title, “Funky Town” and immediately, it peaked at number one on the Gaon weekly album chart. “Lovey-Dovey” was re-released as the second single off it and the single went on to sell more than three million digital copies – in South Korea alone:
[youtube id=”CJ0djllyqwY” width=”600″ height=”350″]
That widely known success played a major role in their addition to Forbes Korea’s “Top 40 Power Celebrities”. T-ara ranked #17 on the list, making them the third most powerful girl group and the seventh most powerful female celebrity in Korea. On top of that, T-ara is also currently in the running to bag a few awards at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur”!
- “Funky Town” for “Disk Album of The Year”.
- “Lovey-Dovey” for “Song of The Year”.
- T-ara, now a K-Pop idol girl group consisting of seven members, was originally a five-member group (Jiae, Jiwon, Eunjung, Hyomin, and Jiyeon).
- Currenly T-ara leader, Soyeon, was meant to debut as leader of SNSD Girls’ Generation. She left due to personal reasons.
- Instead of a permanent leader, the group uses a rotating leader system in which a different member of the group is elected as leader each year.
- Jiyeon learned taekwondo for seven years and therefore, amongst the girls, she fights the best.
- The girls opened their coffeehouse, “Page One” in July 2011. “Page One” is located in Apgujung in the Gangnam district of Seoul.
- Eunjung is said to be the most gullible member of the group. Because of that, she always gets punked by the other girls.
- T-ara donated all of their royalties from their Japanese “Roly-Poly” single to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster.
Here’s another fact: T-ara is slated to make an appearance at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur” (GDA), as confirmed by the GDA committee.
To purchase tickets, hit up TicketPro or any of their participating outlets right now! Tickets are priced at RM999 (Samsung GALAXY Zone) and RM688 (Rockpit). We hear that tickets are going to go fast so hurry!
For more information, visit their official website.
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Telegram for more updates and breaking news.