South Korean boys Yoon Doo-joon, Jang Hyun-seung, Yong Jun-hyung, Yang Yo-seob, Lee Gi-kwang, and Son Dong-woon were going to debut as B2ST but changed their group’s name to BEAST (Boys of the East Standing Tall) at the very last minute. They were introduced to the world in late 2009 but they are still recognized as B2ST until today.
The boys’ journey to debut was showcased on a MTV-hosted reality show, “MTV B2ST”, from August till October 2009. A few days after the final episode, BEAST’s first mini album, “Beast Is The B2ST” was released. It immediately sold tens of thousands of copies and by December 2009, B2ST won their first ever award, “Rookie of the Month” by the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism.
Although they were previously referred to as “a group of recycled material” due to the lack of industry success previously experienced by its members, that misconception soon changed when BEAST’s collection of award nominations and awards continued to grow. To date, BEAST has released one Korean full-length album, six Korean mini-albums, one Japanese full-length, and various singles.
In July 2012, they released their mini album, “Midnight Sun”. Its title track, “Beautiful Night” claimed the #1 spot on popular music charts such as Melon, Mnet, Soribada, and Naver Music:
[youtube id=”ckIGhwQtd-c” width=”600″ height=”350″]
On top of that, BEAST is also currently in the running to bag the “Disk Album of The Year” award for “Midnight Sun” at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur”!
Other facts about BEAST as follows:
- Prior to their debut, Yo-seob and Jun-hyung nearly got rejected by Cube Entertainment. Nearly.
- The one artiste that BEAST members have always wanted to work with is none other than Kanye West.
- Whenever food goes missing, the blame is usually on the heavy snackers of the group, Dong-woon and Yo-seob.
- It was once said that the BEAST members can’t drink (alcohol).
- Hyun-seung was originally YG Entertainment’s trainee and was preparing to debut as a member of BIGBANG before he got eliminated.
- Jun-hyung and Hyun-seung once fought over a cereal box – it was the biggest fight that the group has ever had.
- Apparently, Doo-joon has the prettiest and neatest handwriting among the members.
Here’s another fact: BEAST is slated to make an appearance at “Samsung GALAXY The 27th Golden Disk Awards in Kuala Lumpur” (GDA), as confirmed by the GDA committee.
To purchase tickets, hit up TicketPro or any of their participating outlets right now! There are early bird discounts at RM898 (Samsung GALAXY Zone, regular price RM999) and RM620 (Rockpit, regular price RM688) from now until 15th December 2012. Hurry!
For more information, visit their official website.