In 1986, the first “Golden Disk Awards” was held in South Korea and since then, it has become one of the Korean music industry’s biggest annual events. Over the past decades, it has gained momentum to becoming Korea’s most prestigious awards ceremony for music, rewarding outstanding achievements in the industry. As a matter of fact, the “Golden Disk Awards” aka GDA has been nicknamed the “Korean Grammy Awards”.
It’s all fair though since the people behind GDA, the Music Industry Association of Korea makes it a point to acknowledge winners by only utilizing figures from album and digital music sales.
The GDA also has a wide range of categories, much like other Western or international music award shows. They are:
- Grand (Daesang) Prize, i.e. Artist of the Year, is awarded to the performer of the best of the best full-length album from the “Records of the Year”.
- Grand Prize in Digital Releasing is awarded to the performer of the best of the best full-length album, mini-album (extended play) or single (which was digital released), from the “Records of the Year in Digital Releasing”.
- Records of the Year are awarded to the performers of top 5 full-length albums of the year.
- Records of the Year in Digital Releasing are awarded to the performers of top 5 full-length album, mini-albums (extended plays) or singles of the year (which was digital released).
- Record Producer of the Year is awarded to a record producer of the year.
- Hip Hop Record of the Year is awarded to the performer of the hip hop album of the year.
- Rock Record of the Year is awarded to the performer of the rock album of the year.
- Pop Record of the Year is awarded to the performer of the pop album of the year.
- Trot Record of the Year is awarded to the performer of the trot album of the year.
- Popularity Awards of the Year are awarded to the performers who gained popularity of the year.
- Newbie Awards of the Year are awarded to the newbie performers of the year.
- Special Award is awarded to the performer or the production team who gained popularity or outstanding achievement in miscellaneous topics of Korean music industry.
- Popular M/V of the Year are awarded to the Music Video who gained popularity of the year.
The current holder who has won the most awards is Super Junior with 13 awards. Thirteen! Count them! They are followed by SG Wannabe and Shin Seung Hun (10 awards), Girls’ Generation (9 times), Shinhwa (8 times), TVXQ (7 times), Kim Gun-mo (6 times).
The past year, the GDA was held outside of South Korea. It all started with 2012 for the very first time, in celebration of its 26th anniversary. The committee also took it as a time to show their appreciation to all the K-Pop fans from around the world. The award show was held at Kyocera Dome in Osaka, Japan. Now, the question is, where do you think the GDA is going to be held in January 2013? Japan again?
[youtube id=”jXou-ialNtU” width=”600″ height=”350″]
Or Malaysia? Something for all you K-Pop fans to spend your Monday (and rest of the week) pondering about.
Rumour has it Korean star, Dasom from K-Pop girl group SISTAR has been chosen to MC the 27th Golden Disk Awards. While KARA’s Nicole is said to be shortlisted to MC.
Rumour also has it that the 27th Golden Disk Awards will be happening in Malaysia in mid-January 2013. (Source)
Hmm. If it really is mid-January then we’re looking at 15th and 16th January 2013, since the last GDA was held as a two-part event. K-Pop invasion in Malaysia for two nights of GDA? More details to come soon!