Finally, it’s here. So much speculation and so many rumours built up leading to today. Everybody (and we do mean, EVERYBODY) wanted to see what the tech giants would do to try to stay relevant to the changing times and the rise of the Titans (read: competitors).
Yup. Apple fans and teach enthusiasts have waited with bated breaths for this for as long as we can imagine. The iPhone5 was announced just today at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco.
Here are all the key points we’ve gathered from the live blogs that flooded the web at 1am:
- The iPhone5’s screen stands at four inches (larger than its previous versions), and has retina display.
- The larger screen has lengthened the phone so it’s taller and it allows for a total of six rows of apps on the screen.
- It’s also thinner (18% thinner than the iPhone 4S), made entirely of glass and aluminum.
- The iPhone5 weighs at only 112 grams. Which is about 20% lighter than the iPhone 4S.
- It comes with super speed aka ultrafast wireless, with 5GHz 802.11n Wi-Fi.
- The Apple A6 processor powers the iPhone5. It’s two times faster than its predecessor, 22% smaller, and more efficient – therefore saving on battery life.
- The iPhone5 camera is now 25% smaller, will snap pictures 40% faster, and has more features. Low light picture taking problem has been fixed with the dynamic low light mode.
- Oh, it will also be compatible with high-speed LTE networks. What is LTE? The next generation high speed network. LTE networks can be 10 times faster than 3G. (Source)
- The dock connector has shrunk into a smaller jack. This means that the other connectors e.g. the standard 30-pin ones, are now obsolete.
- It goes on sale on 21st September in the US, Canada, Japan, UK, Germany, France, Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
- The iPhone5 starts at USD199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, and $399 for 64GB respectively.
Uh, out of all the above key points, we were most happy about one thing – we got the name right this time. It really is called the “iPhone 5”! Also, can you believe that Foo Fighters made an appearance and performed live at the official announcement? Randomly!
So? What do you guys think? Revolutionary or otherwise? Will you be one of the people to make a beeline for it or will you pass this one up?
For more information, visit Apple’s website.