The event started out solemn following the news of the Bee Gees’ Robin Gibb’s passing. But the show must go on.
Held at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas, the 2012 Billboard Music Awards was really a gala of the music industry’s most talented acts. With a dash of a fashion extravaganza, of course, as with all award nights.
Taylor Swift looked read hot in a bright red, floor-sweeping column gown, whereas Miley Cyrus opted for a white suit jacket with a plunging neckline. And by plunging, we mean “dangerously low” and “no sudden movements allowed”.
By the looks of it, nobody would’ve guessed that she is only 19 years old. They grow up so fast!
Carrie Underwood, on the other hand, looked like an absolute darling in a blue-grey and pink “chiffon and tulle frenzy”strapless dress. And how can you expect any less from a country sweetheart, hmm? She looked like a princess!
Carrie had our full attention until Katy Perry rocked up in a dazzling figure-hugging lilac gown. We’re pretty sure she left glitter on the parts of the red carpet where she walked. She matched her shimmer-shimmer-shine outfit with her now violet curls.
Oh, she also brought her grandmother as her date for the night.
Altogether now, “Aww..”
The men who turned up at the 2012 Billboard Music Awards didn’t just turn up in sharp-looking gear. They also obviously didn’t leave their swag at home. Just look at pop sensation Justin Bieber and his mentor Usher, looking like they’re ready to break a million hearts.
And let’s not forget the legendary “cool”s who surprise us all not only when they walked the red carpet looking never a day older, but also when they later took the stage as the only rock act who was set to perform at the 2012 Billboard Music Awards.
Who are we blabbering on about? None other than Mike Shinoda and Chester Bennington from Linkin Park.
Their new album, “Living Things” drops on the 25th of June, by the way.
And let’s not forget Asia’s favourite boys (although they’re not exactly from Asia), Far East Movement. Who were obviously there to spread some of that “Dirty Bass“, one day before their album release.
Swag, swag, swag. Asian pride.
But enough about the red carpet and let’s get down to business! Anyone wants to take a swipe at guessing who was the biggest winner this year? Why, it’s none other than British pop sensation Adele, who was clearly “Rolling in the Deep” with a mad total of 12 awards, including the most coveted one – “Top Artist“! All thanks to her multiple-charts-breaking album, “21“.
Following that was Redfoo and SkyBlu of LMFAO. The duo bagged a total of seven awards including “Top Digital Song” (really?), “Top Hot 100 Song”, “Top Pop Song”, “Top Dance Song”, and “Top Rap Song” (seriously, really?) for “Party Rock Anthem”.
It was also the same song that LMFAO opened the 2012 Billboard Music Awards with. Alongside a medley of their other hits, “Sorry for Party Rockin’” and “Sexy and I Know It”.
Other winners include Coldplay (Four awards! FOUR. Count ’em!) , Lady GaGa, Riri, Nicki Minaj, Beyonce Knowles, Shakira, and Justin Bieber.
- Top Artist: Adele
- Top New Artist: Wiz Khalifa
- Top Male Artist: Lil Wayne
- Top Female Artist: Adele
- Top Duo/Group: LMFAO
- Top Billboard 200 Artist: Adele
- Top Hot 100 Artist: Adele
- Top Digital Songs Artist: Adele
- Top Radio Songs Artist: Adele
- Top Touring Artist: U2
- Top Social Artist: Justin Bieber
- Top Streaming Artist: Rihanna
- Top Digital Media Artist: Adele
- Top Pop Artist: Adele
- Top R&B Artist: Chris Brown
- Top Rap Artist: Lil Wayne
- Top Country Artist: Lady Antebellum
- Top Rock Artist: Coldplay
- Top Alternative Artist: Coldplay
- Top Latin Artist: Shakira
- Top Dance Artist: Lady GaGa
- Top Christian Artist: Casting Crowns
- Top Billboard 200 Album: “21” – Adele
- Top Pop Album: “21” – Adele
- Top R&B Album: “4” – Beyonce Knowles
- Top Rap Album: “Tha Carter IV” – Lil Wayne
- Top Country Album: “My Kinda Party” – Jason Aldean
- Top Rock Album: “Mylo Xyloto” – Coldplay
- Top Alternative Album: “Mylo Xyloto” – Coldplay
- Top Latin Album: “Formula, Vol. 1” – Romeo Santos
- Top Dance Album: “Born This Way” – Lady GaGa
- Top Christian Album: “Come to the Well” – Casting Crowns
For the full list of winners, go here.